New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Moving to new PC & cannot find Outlook 2007 pst file

My PC running Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 was rendered inoperable by a graphics card motherboard interface problem so I replaced it with a new PC running Windows 8.1. I have taken the old c and d drives out of the old PC and put them in external drive cases and connected them to the new PC and searched for my Outlook 2007 pst file. I was planning finding it and then importing it into Outlook 2013 which I am yet to purchase. I searched both of the old drives for *.pst and came up blank. I made sure that under folder view options I had checked to show hidden files, folders and drives. I did a Google search but most sites give instructions for finding the pst file by using the running version of Outlook associated with the pst file, something I cannot do.

I would be most grateful for any help. I would be very sad to lose all my old emails.

Many thanks,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Usually at c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook: Where are my Outlook Files?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce for the prompt reply but I still cannot find the pst file. Forgive me for my Windows ignorance but I do not understand how the AppData directory works and why it appears to be hiding.

1. Connecting my old c:\ externally to my new PC brings it up as j:\. I have ticked the checkbox to show hidden files but the AppData directory does not display in Windows Explorer when looking at j:\.
    2. If I search j:\ for AppData it comes up and I then can move all the way down the subdirectories you have given until I come to Micorsoft ie j:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ but then there is no Outlook subdirectory there just \Windows\GameExplorer so no joy.
    3. I have read the article you linked and tried typing %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook in the Windows Explorer address line but I guess this references to c:\ which the old c:\ no longer is so it will not look at j:\.
    4. I have also searched my old D:\ just in case I changed the location for saving the pst file but this has also drawn a blank.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the third method here?: Three ways to find Outlook's PST file

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Bruce for all your help. I am now a happy bunny. I tried the Command Prompt command dir/s *.pst but drew a blank. I then tried the same command using Command Prompt (Admin) and bingo the pst file was revealed as being in K:\Users\Desktop\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. I then racked my memory for my DOS command days and used the copy command to copy the pst file to my D:\ and then imported it into my new Outlook 2013. I am most grateful for your help and time.

Best wishes
    Chris