Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Shortcuts: Out with old, in with new?

After a bit of research, I get the intent of advertised shortcuts. I'm not yet convinced of the necessity, but the intent I see.

One problem I have though is that with the "old" shortcuts, specifically with Outlook, I was and am able to call specific Outlook segments, such as the Calendar, from a shortcut, and also to initiate additions to the various segments, such as a new email or date or contact, directly from the shortcut, as in:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /select outlook:Calendar

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.contact

I don't see how I can replicate this using the new shortcut format. Is there a way?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    What "new" format?

You can still create shortcuts as you always have. You just need to know the correct location for the .exe.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, and I find that how with the new shortcut format?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What "new" format?
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    After a bit of research, I get the intent of advertised shortcuts. I'm not yet convinced of the necessity,
    Advertised where?

Bruce

Thanks
    Advertised shortcuts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Advertised shortcuts.
    I give up. There must be a language breakdown.

what

where
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-07-01 at 11:35.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you creating a Windows Installer package?

If not, you don't need to worry about "advertised shortcuts".

Wise Package Studio has been obsolete for more than two years.

That article is more than five years old, so there's nothing "new" there.

Bruce

Thanks
    Bruce,

In theory you are right. Perhaps I am just missing something here. So, if you can help me to reconstruct

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle

and/or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /select outlook:Calendar

and/or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.contact

or, for that matter, passing parameters in general. I suppose it won't matter beyond that. For instance, if I were to want to have Word open a file that was NOT part of its associated files, how would I construct the shortcut -- assuming that I did not know what or where the shortcut pointed to since it isn't or wasn't shown in the shortcut itself?

The use of the word "new" was perhaps a mistake, although the format was "new" as of Office 2007, wasn't it?

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why do they need to be reconstructed?

Still no clue what new format you mean.

Bruce

Thanks
    Bruce, I apologize, I should be more clear.

In a sense, you are absolutely correct that "they" do not need to be "reconstructed." But that is only because I in the past tracked down the specific programs' paths and conjured up the shortcuts. They weren't obvious even in Office 2010.

What if (How could) I do the same from scratch with the shortcuts as installed from Office 2010? There is no place for switches or parameters, as the whole shortcut is greyed out.

So, for instance, to keep it straightforward, if I want a shortcut that calls Word 2010 (or 2013) to open a specific document (type) that is NOT by default associated with Word, how could / would I find the path to Word in order to construct the shortcut -- if I did not want to associate the file type with Word, but only for specific documents?

I would just create a shortcut "before" that called the program and had the specific document on the command-line.

Now there is no command-line.

So then what?

Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE"
    That's fine for the 32-bit version of Office 2010 but there is also the 64-bit version of Office 2010 where the files are in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\. Office 2010 is the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit but I couldn't have FrontPage 2003 [last version published] installed at the same time as the 64-bit version.

To explain the path further, 64-bit Windows will have C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) Folders but the 32-bit version of Windows has only the C:\Program Files Folder, confusing only if one is using both a 32-bit computer and a 64-bit computer.

Thanks
    Berton, I get your point. At this time I didn't and don't have the need for 64-bit Office, so I was saved having to address that issue. It's the 32-bit that installs into C:\Program Files (x86), so I am assuming that the 64-bit will install into C:\Program Files.

That, thankfully, doesn't alter or further complicate my issue.

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bruce, I apologize, I should be more clear.

In a sense, you are absolutely correct that "they" do not need to be "reconstructed." But that is only because I in the past tracked down the specific programs' paths and conjured up the shortcuts. They weren't obvious even in Office 2010.

What if (How could) I do the same from scratch with the shortcuts as installed from Office 2010? There is no place for switches or parameters, as the whole shortcut is greyed out.

So, for instance, to keep it straightforward, if I want a shortcut that calls Word 2010 (or 2013) to open a specific document (type) that is NOT by default associated with Word, how could / would I find the path to Word in order to construct the shortcut -- if I did not want to associate the file type with Word, but only for specific documents?

I would just create a shortcut "before" that called the program and had the specific document on the command-line.

Now there is no command-line.

So then what?

Chuck
    I think you mean that there is no "Target Location:" for the standard shortcuts installed by recent versions of MS Office.

So search for winword.exe and use the full path to that, followed by a space and the full path of the file you want to open, in a new shortcut which you create:

How to use startup command line switches to start Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000

Bruce

Thanks
    Bruce, for the greater part, that works well. One runs into difficulties if there needs to also be a search for the actually file name itself. An example of this challenge can be seen in the shortcut labeled "Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010" which is in fact "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\GROOVE.EXE" I do believe. Not exactly obvious.

It would be nice if MS would supply some type of "transition" listing for file name and location changes!

I have yet to experience any massive improvement with the new methodology, but that's just me, probably.

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast