Gold Lounger
    Thanks

POST beeps and the kitchen sink

Can a malfunctioning CPU heat sink cause problems that lead to POST beep codes?

I pointed out to Micron that, what I've been told is the heat sink, has comeloose from the Pentium II CPU cartridge. The stuff holding them together appears to have melted.

So Micron agreed to send me a new CPU under the warranty.

The beeps I am getting 1 long, 2 short, may indicate a problem with the video card.

So happens that the video card is closest to the CPU and would be directly affected by heat, or the melted connection material between the CPU and heat sink.

Does this make sense?

How can I "clean" a video card?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: POST beeps and the kitchen sink

Howard,

You might visit the web site of your video card maker and see if a video bios upgrade (re-flash) is available there. I did this a couple of years ago and got some improved performance, although under WIN95 orig.

I also once had the cooling fan quit and not knowing that it had I had struggled with a variety of messages that cropped up and when the cooling fan was replaced they stopped.

I'd be tempted to re-seat all the cards twice to remove any dust or whatever that may be fouling up good contact.

Good luck!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Real3D is no more.

Micron is sending me a another CPU card with heat sink.

According to a PC upgrading book I have, the heat sink does need to be connected to the PII card, so that is definitely a problem.

First, I'll put in the CPU/heat sink.
    If I'm lucky that will make the problem go away.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Your video card could be affected by the heat from the CPU. If it is a newer video card, such as a Radeon or GeForce 2, it would generate enough heat on its own that adding more from the CPU would be a problem.

However, this happens on startup - so heat is likely not the case. Your Pentium II and its heatsink should have a clip holding them together, and the goo between the two is heatsink compound, which is intended to aid in the transfer of heat from the CPU core to the heatsink fins. Intel processors have a good history of handling heat and will typically shut themselves down if overheated.

Take your video card out, and use a standard pencil eraser on the gold contacts. That's the most effective way to clean them. In fact, do it with all your add-in cards just to be sure, and make sure they seat firmly.

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

FYI, the post beeps were indeed caused by the heat sink becoming detached from the CPU.