Lounger
    Thanks

Share folders across the network

I'm not that NT4 server friendly & I'm looking to make this happen without major account modifications. I would like to have access to the files on 10 networked PC's from 14 other networked PC's. I've tried posting this in the Excel & VBA forums and they referred me here.

In the current configuration the user copies their files (from 1 of the 10 PC's) to a network folder & then moves to another computer to access the files stored in that network directory. What I'm looking to do, in my Excel VBA code, is to directly access the other PC's local drive by doing something like:

workbook.open "remote pc namedirectoryfilename" instead of workbook.open "servernamedirectoryfilename"

Since I don't see the remote PC's name in our current network tree can I do something like:

workbook.open "servernameremote pc namedirectoryfilename"

If not, do I need to reconfigure the remote PC's account in the server so I can see it on the network or will a shared folder on the remote PC be all I need and access it like this:

workbook.open "server nameshared directoryfilename"

John

Thanks

Re: Share folders across the network

I would say you want something like:

Workbooks.Open Filename:="remote pc nameshared folder namefilename.xls"

Although our shares reside mainly on our server, we have a similar scenario with common access required from around the network. For simplicity, everyone has mapped to the shared folders with the same letter, so that for example, anyone can open the same file using:

Workbooks.Open Filename:="P:filename.xls"

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Share folders across the network

Leif,

Great - Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll have to get my hands dirty on this one & play around with the shared directories b/c I really want to access the data from its original location.

The remote PC's are acquiring data from analytical instruments using the same type of software.They all have been setup using the same local drive file structure (C:Instrument Datafilename.xls) and it is possible for different PC's to generate the same filename.

Thanks again - John