New Lounger
    Thanks

External Monitor Acting Weird

Hello,
    I work off of a Windows 8 laptop connected to an external monitor. Very suddenly, the set-up stopped working right. I must have the monitor plugged in to the laptop in order to use the computer at all. Without it plugged in, the laptop screen covers only two thirds of the screen and is frozen, and the mouse will move around, but it won't do anything when I click. As soon as I plug in the external monitor, my laptop screen works fine, but my external monitor is frozen, not showing the whole screen, and not allowing me to click anything. Any thoughts on why this might be?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a close look at your settings in Control Panel/Display (or right-click on Desktop then click on "Screen Resolution". You might need to play around with the settings a bit to get the result you want.