Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best Free Substitute for MS Word

My wife just got a new Win8.1 laptop and her copy of MS Word is very old so I think I should install one of the free substitutes for Word. Word is the only Office app she uses. I am aware of Open Office and I know there are some others. Which one do you suggest getting?

Thanks,
    Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I use LibreOffice and it works happily with MS Office files.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I tried LebreOffice one time myself and I was turned off by the fact that you have to open a common interface and then choose the Word equivalent. I'll wait and see if there are other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just installed LibreOffice 4 on two computers and when opening it's Start menu item was able to right-click the word processor and choose either Pin to task bar or Pin to Start Menu. I chose LibreOffice over OpenOffice as it can still open Works documents.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think LibreOffice is terrific myself. You certainly don't have to use the common startup icon. Just create a direct shortcut to LibreWriter (swriter.exe) and any of the others you want and put it wherever you wish. I've got LibreWriter pinned in my start menu.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that I can create icons for individual applications in LibreOffice. I'll stick with that too and create those shortcuts.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What version of Word do you have? Versions as old as 2003 work on Windows 8.1.

As long as your wife creates/edits relatively simple documents you could also use the free Word web app found at office.com.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problems for me with the online version is limitations in saving, automatically saves a document or wants to save as PDF and not opening files on the hard disk drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe my version of Word is '97 or 2000 so it is pretty old. :-) I'm sure we should stop using versions that old! My wife is not even a little bit computer-friendly so I don't want to get involved with the online version of Word either.

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I had Office 2000 running on W8, well it still is for all I know but I'm not running W8 now. It worked fine for me but Libre is significantly more capable. I especially like how well it handles a copy of an article from a webpage (including all in-line graphics) that I turn around and export as a PDF. Office 2000 is like, PD-who?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, did you use Copy and Paste to get that web page into Libre? I often want to preserve a web page that will not be intact if I just try to email the link or the page.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the browser's Save As or Save Page As and choose the complete page which also gets all the content or just the HTML, no images, etc. Internet Explorer has a third format of complete page in one file, .mht format. The .html or .mht files can be double-clicked to open in the browser.

Or one can use text format which can be opened in various word processing or text editing programs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, highlight copy and paste and wait a tic for the graphics to fill in. Mostly simple main body article stuff with a few pictures and graphics. If there's a printer-friendly version that usually works perfectly.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast