Lounger
    Thanks

Frequent reports of 'Problem Files' with TeraCopy.

Last year I changed from using Win XP on a desktop to using W7 Home 64bit on a new laptop. I then started to notice that copy or move of large files produced unreported errors. The files were pairs for use with a mapping program. Every map has an image file, plus a small calibration text file.

The larger images were occasionally corrupted, which did not become apparent until much later, when I attempted to load thetransfered files from USB 2TB drives. Apparently others, mainly with large .mp3 files had similar problems. The cause is uncertain. I think that it's W7 Home, but some think that it's a USB driver problem.

I solved the problem by using a different laptop that runs W7 Pro 64bit and using TeraCopy version 2.3. Not for it's claimed speed, but because I can use CRC verification with TeraCopy.

I am now organising my many files and using TeraCopy to copy/move them, but I keep getting reports of Problem Files.

The CRC column shows the same CRC for source and destination files. Both open without problems. But many files get copied rather than moved in a move action.

So far I've not discovered any corrupted files, but these continuous problem files are annoying and time wasting.

Has anyone found similar problems or suggest a solution?

Another program would be acceptable. I recall that in the days of DOS, it was possible to switch on verify for file actions. Is this possible in W7?

For many years, I've used ViceVersa for all file backups and have now started to use CRC verification with all comparisons and copy actions. VV is ideal for many files and many folders, but to move individual files using drag&drop, it's a very slow process to setup a profile for single files!

Incidentally, I've never had CRC errors with VV except when using it on that Win 7 Home laptop. So I've stopped using it with large files!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this problem reporting common to all sorts of destinations, say network and other devices, or just to local USB drives? Are the local drives portable? If it was just the local drives where the errors were reported, might not have a consistent enough power output to run them properly 100% of the time or the original connection cable may have been pinched at some point and is introducing erratic copy behavior.

I don't think it's W7 itself in conjunction with using TeraCopy because that what I use with all my W7 platforms and I copy and move several hundred gigabytes a month without issue.

So if you can isolate one or two more commonalities that should help eliminate what it is not, if not point directly at the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is occurring on four drives. The laptop's C: and three WD 2TB USB3 drives, which I use for archiving, back-up and general use as I've stopped using a desktop with two drives. I use ViceVersa to keep all three USB drives identical and to keep files also on C:, identical on the three USB drives. CRC checking is now always on in VV with W7, but was never used with XP on the desktop.

My present task where I'm noticing TeraCopy's problem files is occurring when I'm only using C:, as well as when using the USB drives. So this rules out any USB or cable problems.

As you probably know, 'Copy' will transfer a file to a different part of the same drive. Using 'Move', will not transfer the file but only change the directory entry. It is this move action that is producing the greater number of instances of problem files. Most files will be moved (= directory entry change), but some will be a copy as these files still remain in the source folder as well as being in the destination folder - on the same drive!

In the current tidying-up of files to different folders, I'm always doing it on the same drive. It's much faster, especially with large files. Later I use VV to make all drives identical and have no difficulties.

Thanks
    I disliked TeraCopy when it first came out, and stuck with Robocopy, whose foibles I am familiar with (/XJ, anyone?!).

Would it be worth trying Robocopy?
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Robocopy in Batch files which is ideal for repetitive copying. But I'm doing many 'one-off' copies.

I've done a lot of internet searching and it appears that many experience CRC errors, whilst using damaged hard and optical drives. This suggests that Window's copy now does a CRC check. Also I can't find any information about turning on CRC checking.

So I'll remove TeraCopy and revert to normal Windows 7 copy.