New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Ran Update & Now Have Some KB's 'Pending Restart'

I ran Windows Update to apply the June KB's; got an Error 80200056 to start & fixed it with the Windows Update Troubleshooter (WUT?)... I think. When I applied updates again, 5 were successfully installed. The other 7 now show 'Pending restart from installation'; I usually don't interrupt installations, but it looked like my PC went to sleep during the install & I pressed the power button. The lock screen came up & after that, Windows Update shows the 'Pending restart from installation' in the update history. The KB's with this are: KB2957689, KB2939576, KB2957189, KB2964718, KB2964736, KB2965142, and KB2965699. Has this happened to anyone else & how can you change the result?
    Last edited by BillIngramIsMe; 2014-07-07 at 15:09. Reason: Misunderstood error code on another thread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Restart and they should complete.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did that shortly after I noticed the results... no change.

Thanks
    Try a cold boot. Shut down (not "Restart") and wait a minute or so, then power back up.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried it; shut down, waited a minute & a half... but nope. Had the laptop turned off for 1-2 hours before that, but no change so far.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Run the Windows Update troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...troubleshooter
    Plenty of other suggestions after this, but the troubleshooter takes care of most problems.

Just thought of this - check the log to see if the update was otherwise installed. If it was, then the pending entries won't be able to install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran WUT (I indicated at the beginning of this thread that I ran this when Microsoft prompted me) again, then just to be sure, shut down, waited a minute, then started my laptop again. Went back & viewed update history... same thing, no change. How do you 'check the log to see if the update was otherwise installed'? Am I doing that right? As I said at the beginning, 5 KB's were successfully installed & the rest are 'Pending restart from installation'.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? I'm not sure it matters, but I'm not sure that it doesn't.

Have you looked at Control Panel->Programs and Features->View installed updates?

Are the updates 'Pending restart from installation' listed there?

If they are, you might try uninstalling one of them, and then installing it again to see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I misread the WUT comment as it had fixed things. Didn't know if you'd tried it again.
    Also, I've got eye problems so I occasionally miss things.

I wonder about your Windows Updates problems and think that there might be a more complicated issue here.
    I've had good luck with Windows Updates troubleshooting here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Have you looked at Control Panel->Programs and Features->View installed updates?

Are the updates 'Pending restart from installation' listed there?

If they are, you might try uninstalling one of them, and then installing it again to see what happens.
    Thanks, Prescott! I uninstalled & reinstalled 1, then did the rest. All successfully installed... I'll know what to do next time. Thanks again!