Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanks Mr B, the problem is that it only gets as far as 13% and seems to stop. The system (even though it's cut down for running chkdsk) then states that Windows has detected a problem and goes into recovery mode. Trying any of the options just gives the message that the disk is locked. Looks like it needs either a new disk or something being done to the disk (I once recovered a HDD using DBAN and Linux). Thank goodness I have Macrium Reflect, File History and my own backup of my data files! I saved the last by using Ubuntu on a memory disk and was able to copy the relevant files to my desktop drive. I'm currently using Ubuntu to type this (it's a pain on a tablet!).

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Thanks Mr B, the problem is that it only gets as far as 13% and seems to stop. The system (even though it's cut down for running chkdsk) then states that Windows has detected a problem and goes into recovery mode.
    That is why chkdsk /r needs to be run from a Recovery/Repair boot disk. It will continue to run. I've had HDD's that took hours for chkdsk /r to complete.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    OK, thanks for all your suggestions and help, I've now taken the PC to our local repair shop. I just don't have time to try and fix it myself, as I'm preparing to move house and have a family issue I have to deal with.

All I can say is that IT forums rock (having been on the Mint forums to get another PC sorted which has Mint on it and have received good advice there too!)

Thanks
    Just to update, I now have my desktop back. Some of the OS files were missing (that might have been due to a failed MR restore). However, they ran chkdsk from a stick (as bbearen suggested ) and that seemed to fix the problems. they also checked the HDD and gave that a clean bill of health.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Just to update, I now have my desktop back. Some of the OS files were missing (that might have been due to a failed MR restore). However, they ran chkdsk from a stick (as bbearen suggested ) and that seemed to fix the problems. they also checked the HDD and gave that a clean bill of health.
    Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for posting your success.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12