Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Can't repair install Win 7

I'm trying to do a repair install of Win 7 32 bit. I've done it before on this machine with no problem. However, now when it does the compatibility check, it gives the following message:

"These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)

SQL Server 7.0"

As far as I'm aware I don't have this installed. It doesn't show up in the Control Panel list of installed programs, and I don't see anything similar when I do a search. The process won't complete without uninstalling this, so I'm stuck.

Any ideas on where to look for this or how to get around it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Check your Services to see if a SQL Server service is running. It may have been installed as part of another product.

You can try the free version of Revo Uninstaller to see if it detects SQL Server.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Check your Services to see if a SQL Server service is running. It may have been installed as part of another product.

You can try the free version of Revo Uninstaller to see if it detects SQL Server.

Joe
    No sign of SQL server in Services. I already use Revo and it doesn't show up there.

Thanks
    Instructions for manually uninstalling SQL Server 7.0 can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276044

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Instructions for manually uninstalling SQL Server 7.0 can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276044

Jerry
    I can't see anything in there that applies to me. It first says to remove SQL with Control Panel, but it doesn't show up there. It then says to remove several registry entries, none of which exist. There is nothing called MSSQL on my hard drive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dhacker View Post
    I can't see anything in there that applies to me. It first says to remove SQL with Control Panel, but it doesn't show up there. It then says to remove several registry entries, none of which exist. There is nothing called MSSQL on my hard drive.
    Have you tried installing MySQL and then uninstalling right after the installation if that would be able to trick Windows to let you pass the repair process?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this has any bearing on Windows 7 or not. In XP once your disk got very far behind the installed updates from MS it would not do the repair install. That's how I got involved in slipstreaming.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I don't know if this has any bearing on Windows 7 or not. In XP once your disk got very far behind the installed updates from MS it would not do the repair install. That's how I got involved in slipstreaming.
    Joe
    My updates are current, but that's one of the reasons for the repair install. I seem to have a lot of problems applying updates. For some, they seem to install correctly, but on rebooting it says the update fails and reverts to the previous configuration. Sometimes it takes several attempts to apply the update, but sometimes it never works and I have no option but to hide it. I've never been able to install IE11 because of this.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozwire View Post
    Have you tried installing MySQL and then uninstalling right after the installation if that would be able to trick Windows to let you pass the repair process?
    I thought of that, but I can't find where to download the installation program. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    This appears to be an update to an existing installation. When I try to install it, it tells me SQL Server 7 is not installed on this computer, so I appear to be going in circles. Is it possible to find an original version to install?

Thanks
    It must be a microsoft update. Go to control panel > programs and features > click on view installed updates on the left hand side > look for the SQL server update and uninstall it > restart the system > try to repair.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MyHelpster View Post
    It must be a microsoft update. Go to control panel > programs and features > click on view installed updates on the left hand side > look for the SQL server update and uninstall it > restart the system > try to repair.
    There is no SQL Server update in the list.

Thanks
    Question you should be asking yourself:
    What has changed since the last time you did a repair install?

Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. As a database, it is a software product whose primary function is to store and retrieve data as requested by other software applications, be it those on the same computer or those running on another computer across a network (including the Internet). There are at least a dozen different editions of Microsoft SQL Server aimed at different audiences and for workloads ranging from small single-machine applications to large Internet-facing applications with many concurrent users. Its primary query languages are T-SQL and ANSI SQL.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the registry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft with an entry for Microsoft SQL Server or SQL Server

There could also be something in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-10 at 18:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast