Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IMHO Bad move by MS

After reading this article http://finance.yahoo.com/news/six-mo...153937286.html this morning, I am wondering if MS will extend support for Win 7 like they did for XP.
    I have never used an Apple product in my life but I may have to learn how to use one if these turds pull something like this. I'm just getting used to win 7 and I refuse to buy Win 8.
    Just my thoughts but I'll bet there are many with the same thoughts.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Nothing new about those dates though; they've been known and published for years.

Windows 7 lasts for six years beyond XP, but by 2020 will be more than 10 years old.

Apple doesn't support any OS version for that long (or publish any EOL advance info).

Bruce

Thanks
    Never say "Never", never say "Always".
    One thing is obvious, MS is jealous of the way one can't purchase any software for IOS or Android without going through "their" store.
    IMHO. They will do everything they can to get all of their OSes set that every app running on it is purchased from MS.

It looks to be narrowing down to this one question. Who is the least of all evils? Google, MS, Apple?
    The alternative will be Linux, but for how long? ;-)
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR, If I read the article correctly, MS is talking about ending security updates for win 7 in 6 mos., long before 2020. I'm assuming that it's possible since they are having a hard time getting enough Win 8 sales.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy95,

Did you read an early version of the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo
    Note: The original version of this story said that security patches will end for some Windows 7 users when mainstream support ends. This was an error. Microsoft has confirmed to us that it will continue to provide security patches for all Windows 7 users through 2020. We apologize for the error.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahh, evidently I read it before the correction. Thanks for the clarification.

Administrator
    Thanks
    For general information security patches never end when mainstream support ends. See Microsoft Support Lifecycle for definitions and details.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I'm just getting used to win 7 and I refuse to buy Win 8.
    Windows 8.1 is really not that much different than Windows 7 to the average user once you get past the tile interface.

Both are NT6 builds.

NT 5.0 - Windows 2000
    NT 5.1 - Windows XP
    NT 5.2 - Windows XP x64

NT 6.0 - Windows Vista
    NT 6.1 - Windows 7
    NT 6.2 - Windows 8
    NT 6.3 - Windows 8.1

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Windows 7 is a lighter OS than Vista (speaking of system resource usage).

Windows 8.1/8 is lighter than Windows 7.

If you have the time and a little patience, you may want to try the Windows 8.1 trial version available from Microsoft -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../hh699156.aspx

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jcgriff2, I understand and respect your opinion but I really don't like the look of win 8 and it was tough enough going to win 7 after so many years of being happy with XP ( which was much better than anything previously ).
    I'm hoping that the "new" version will be better and more geared toward ex XP and Win 7 users like me.
    I'm happy that the security aspects of the newer OS's are more advanced but since I try my best to stay out of trouble anyway, I would like something a bit more appealing than the tiled interface that win 8 has become famous for. Besides, according to my Dr. I may not make it past the expiration date of Win 7, LOL ( Obviously I am going to try to prove him wrong )

Administrator
    Thanks
    @lumpy95

With Windows 8.1 you can easily configure the system go straight to the desktop on a boot. If you feel you must have a start menu there are several third party alternatives which have been mentioned numerous times in the Lounge. Personally, I've never felt the need have the start menu back. I run Windows 8.1 all day every day on several machines @ work & @ home. Mostly desktop at both places with more modern @ home but still some modern @ work. the start screen is the start menu. If you customize the start screen you can easily access your most frequently used programs. Just press the Windows key. If the program you want is not on the screen just start typing the name.

The desktop in Windows 8.1 works just fine. I pin my most frequently used program to the taskbar. @ work I have 19 programs pinned. Anything else is easily accessed on the start screen.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, Thanks for the tips and observations on 8.1 and I'm glad that you like it. As with most things in life, some do and some don't. I was really unhappy that I needed to go to win 7 let alone go to win 8.1 LOL. You and many on this excellent board know a heck of a lot more about computers than I ever will so the learning curve for me is steep.
    Personally, I really don't like the look of 8.1 anyway ( although I may have to accept it some day since MS seems to be staying in that direction ).
    I guess I'm just dragging my feet as long as possible into the "New Age" LOL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    Windows 8.1 is really not that much different than Windows 7 to the average user once you get past the tile interface.
    The interface is pretty much the entire experience to the average user. That's like saying "WalMart is not much different than JCPenny, once you get past the huge number of people usually in WalMart."

I believe it would be more accurate to say "Windows 8.1 is really not that much different than Windows 7 to a geek once you get past the tile interface."

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @lumpy95 -

I've been using computers since the days when DOS was the mainstream operating system, and Windows was an "add on". Things were much simpler then but you couldn't do anything near what you can now. Anyway, in 1997 I bought a computer with Windows 95 on it and I loved it. Since then, I have always switched my new Windows (XP & Win 7) to the "Classic display mode" so they look like 95, 98, ME. I don't care for change much either. I can get around in the Aero mode, but I prefer Classic. It really speeds things up on the computer too. Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CEScott, I started with DOS and win 3.1 then went to 95,98, and skipped ME and Vista and went to XP, and now Win 7 ( I still have a laptop with XP that is not upgradeable to win 7 thanks to HP not making drivers available ).
    I guess I'll ride out Win 7 until it meets the same fate as XP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    CEScott, I started with DOS and win 3.1 then went to 95,98, and skipped ME and Vista and went to XP, and now Win 7 ( I still have a laptop with XP that is not upgradeable to win 7 thanks to HP not making drivers available ).
    I guess I'll ride out Win 7 until it meets the same fate as XP.
    It's possible you can find the needed drivers from the manufacturers' web sites. If you will go to Device Manager, and look at the properties of a device (say, the Network Interface Card), you will find a VEN and a DEV number. Then go here (http://www.pcidatabase.com/), put in the VEN number, and scroll down to find the DEV number. That will tell you where to go to find the driver (or they may have a link to the actual driver).

If you first do an image of your laptop, you can then safely try to install Windows 7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast