Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics card problem

Hello All,
    Looking for feedback on this issue.

I have a four year old Toshiba Qosmio laptop, which is their "gaming" laptop, although I use it as a desktop replacement. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium and has an NVidia graphics card in it. About a month ago, a problem started where the screen goes black, and then recovers, and I get the message: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 188.29 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." (188.29 is the version of the driver currently installed)

Thus far, I have downloaded the graphics card driver (same version as was installed originally) from Toshiba's website, and used it to overwrite the existing driver. No joy - the problem still occurs.

Thoughts, anyone? Is this a Windows issue, or is the graphics card going bad?

All help is appreciated!

Regards,
    Bob Miller

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You could try the "Most Helpful Reply" in the thread here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-e929ee8173c6

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    Thank you for the FAST response!
    Per the "Most Helpful Reply", I made the Registry edit so, now time will tell.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Thanks
    You're welcome and good luck with the result.

Jerry

Thanks
    Restore the computer to the date where this issue was not occurring. If the issue still persists then it is the graphic card issue.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi robtlmiller,

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but have you considered that the problem may be caused by overheating?

It’s been widely reported that Nvidia has had lots of problems with graphics chip overheating for the past 7 or 8 years and it appears that your Toshiba Qosmio NVidia GPU is no exception.

Originally, the problem was that many Nvidia chips simply expired through internal overheating, which Nvidia tried to sidestep by claiming it was caused by inadequate heatsink design, i.e. ‘It’s not us, Guv, it’s them!’

Having claimed to have solved that problem it has now morphed into a new one where the overheating unsolders the graphics chip from the mobo or card causing ‘dry soldered’ connections. This new problem is particularly difficult to track down as the dry connections can temporarily resurrect themselves on cooling down.

This intermittent connection problem can be cured by unsoldering the chip, cleaning off the lead free solder (the scourge of modern electronics) and replacing it with ‘proper’ 60/40 tin-lead solder. Definitely not a job for the faint hearted though – I speak as one who has done a couple!

If you eBay search ‘Toshiba Qosmio (+ model#) NVidia Video Card’ you’ll find plenty of people selling refurbed cards and mobos.

Hope I’m wrong about your particular laptop problem.

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

Lounger
    Thanks
    MyHelpster, Thanks for your input!

Chris, Bleeah (as Snoopy says) - I had considered the overheating issue and yes, you are correct - Ebay does have motherbaords . . .