3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

App loading order during boot.

I'm using a Logitech mouse, and associated Logitech Setpoint software.

Most of the time, during boot, the mouse is useable early in the boot process (I assume because the Setpoint software is loaded early). There are, of course, many other things happening during boot, including (among others) loading my antivirus app, a CPU temp monitoring app, a disk activity app, connecting to the internet, etc., but with the mouse functioning, I'm able to start work almost immediately.

Occasionally, however, the mouse appears to be the last thing to become useable, perhaps 20 or 30 seconds later than normal. During this (annoyingly long) time, I'm not able to start working on my computer.

Is there a way to ensure a particular (and consistent) loading order during boot?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The only things you can get any real control over when it comes to boot-order loading are the 3rd party utilities, Les.

Winpatrol is my choice for this - but moving to an SSD would be a great help as well. Of course, the cleaner your boot is, the faster everything will load anyway.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often the Notification Area application is just a front end to a service. Check to see if there is a Logitech service with a delayed start.

I used to use Startup Delayer until I decided it was not worth the effort on my part to maintain the order when I added, removed, or changed programs since I only re-boot my system when I absolutely have to.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Satrow, there must be something that tells the system what to load at boot time. In whatever order programs load, it seems to me that they should ALWAYS load in the same order at every boot. I'm at a loss to understand why that would change. Can you tell me where to see everything that's loading at boot time, and in what order?

Joe, the only Logitech service (at least that's labeled "Logitech") is Logitech Bluetooth Service, which is set to Manual, and which I never use. It stays off at boot.
    Also, the Human Interface Device Access service was set to Manual, but is started sometime during boot. I'll set it to Automatic, and perhaps it will start sooner.
    Neither of these services was set to delayed start.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The software load order is the same on each boot as long as your hardware and software are the same as the prior boot. However, there are numerous activities which can alter the timing which in turn could appear to make things happen differently to you. That could be a device responding slightly faster or slower, networking latency causing internet network initialization to be faster or slower, you playing with your mouse causing interrupts that need to be serviced, a network device responding in a different manner or time frame, etc., etc.

Joe

Thanks
    There's an older list that I used to use occasionally to try to pinpoint BSODs that happened too early in the boot process to leave any evidence like a minidump to analyse; scan down through the Vista section to Winload.exe, most of the details there are good for both Vista and W7, I would guess that W8+ would see some significant changes/omissions/additions to this: http://www.carrona.org/boottrbl.html

MSConfig's Boot tab has a checkbox for Boot log (long time since I've used it, opens a file called bootlog.txt, iirc), that might help with driver order.

Plenty of logs of all types in the Event Viewer to study (or create your own), begin with Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics - Performance > Operational ?

LoadOrder.

XPERF can be used to create ETL output to study: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...gons-sbsl.aspx