Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecraven View Post
    To get Google Groups to list members by name, when you do the Direct Add, enter the address like this: "last name, first name" <email address.com> Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to edit the member name once it's there. So, I've had to delete the existing member, then re-add them.
    Thanks for the info. I've researched on how to edit existing names but it sounds/looks like there's no way to do it. I don't think I want to reset each individual account having just got them established. Maybe I'll let the dust settle and approach it at a later time.
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it's too late to help, but we use Meetup.com for our Neighborhood Watch. It has not only the email listserver function, but event notification, comments on events, a bulletin board, photo section, and files section that we use. There are other functions too, but those are the ones we use, and they are dead easy to admin. It costs, but as someone who has actually hosted mail list servers on my own computer before, it's worth the convenience. I pay for it myself, that way there aren't any arguments about what goes on there (some people can't help themselves, and we don't need the wrong kind of comments showing up in the newspaper if there is ever an 'adverse event'). People can set preferences on whether or not to get copied on every message or just announcements, too, which helps with people who don't like 'getting spammed'.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NinerSevenTango For This Useful Post:

Bender (2014-07-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks NinerSevenTango. I'm keeping notes here on all these good ideas. I'm sure that in the future we will want to expand. I'll take a look at Meetup to see what features they offer but for now I'm not going to upset the apple cart + we're running a no-budget operation here. Hopefully that will change. Thanks again for your response.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not to take offense, but some people value their privacy more than having any need to put their life on the internet. That is based on reality. It's not "a mentality" any different from your mentality which is to call people who value their privacy "stubborn". I think it's a total joke for people to be tracked by Google and Yahoo and Microsoft trying to force universal log-ins so they track everything you do. I use DuckDuckGo as my browser, too. It's easier to remain private than try to regain lost privacy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchbaker View Post
    Not to take offense, but some people value their privacy more than having any need to put their life on the internet. That is based on reality. It's not "a mentality" any different from your mentality which is to call people who value their privacy "stubborn". I think it's a total joke for people to be tracked by Google and Yahoo and Microsoft trying to force universal log-ins so they track everything you do. I use DuckDuckGo as my browser, too. It's easier to remain private than try to regain lost privacy.
    Hit a sore spot did I? Maybe you haven't had the opportunity to work with some elderly people who are technically challenged. Let's see you get 40 households organized and all on the same page. It's kind of like herding cats. I will stand by my comment of the "mentality" of what I have to work with. It's not derogatory, nor meant to be. I am clearly expressing the mind state of certain individuals. You do have a mind state don't you? Well there ya' go.. we all have a mentality.

Now that you've cherry picked some of my comments and turned them into a social commentary, would you like to contribute to what the rest of us are talking about?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another option is go to hosting for something like $20 a year (don't know if I can mention an example, not connected to them except as a user hostignition.com)
    Register a domain like nhw.com for $10 or so and host it at a host for $20 or so and use a mail list. I use that for a few clubs, One has an exec list, a members list, a social list along with a simple web site for no more than $30 a year. Unlimited emails, storage of many GB etc. Members can be moderated(emails approval required) or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dennism3 For This Useful Post:

Bender (2014-07-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dennism3 View Post
    Another option is go to hosting for something like $20 a year (don't know if I can mention an example, not connected to them except as a user hostignition.com)
    Register a domain like nhw.com for $10 or so and host it at a host for $20 or so and use a mail list. I use that for a few clubs, One has an exec list, a members list, a social list along with a simple web site for no more than $30 a year. Unlimited emails, storage of many GB etc. Members can be moderated(emails approval required) or not.
    Thanks. Perhaps in the future we could consider something like that. For now, and I've already said this a couple of times, we don't have any money to work with. The other concern that I have with going too deep down the commitment trail with a domain and web site, is who will take it over when I move aside? We don't have any other techies on the block, at least at this time. And who will assume financial responsibility? I'm thinking lightweight and free is good at least for a small volunteer organization like we have. The document and picture storage would be a nice feature but it's not absolutely necessary. When I do something like that I'm getting back to where everybody has to sign up for the service to login and so forth. We got to take baby steps and maybe over time we will be able to technically improve our organization.

Thanks
    I also manage three Yahoo! groups and have had, mostly, satisfaction for a decade or so.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's not too late, our neighborhood uses Nextdoor.com, which as you might suspect, is a message system optimized for neighborhoods. I think it's free (I didn't set it up). People are happier with it than previous systems (yahoo groups, etc.).

Cedar

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Hit a sore spot did I? Maybe you haven't had the opportunity to work with some elderly people who are technically challenged. Let's see you get 40 households organized and all on the same page. It's kind of like herding cats. I will stand by my comment of the "mentality" of what I have to work with. It's not derogatory, nor meant to be. I am clearly expressing the mind state of certain individuals. You do have a mind state don't you? Well there ya' go.. we all have a mentality.

Now that you've cherry picked some of my comments and turned them into a social commentary, would you like to contribute to what the rest of us are talking about?
    Oh Hey! Now you hit a sore spot here! I'm 76 and remember using DOS when Windows was just a twinkle in Bill's eye! It's not about age, or gender or anything other than interest and ability.

A note about Yahoogroups ... The ones I own and manage are private. Members have to pass by me to get on the list and I screen them. One list is only by referral of people already on. Our posts are not visible outside the group and we are not listed in the general list of groups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12