Thread: Word 2013

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2013

I recently had to "downgrade" to Word 2013 at work. In prior versions of Word, I had it set up so it would automatically save a preview of the document. That way, I would see what documents looked like when I was trying to find the right one. I cannot figure out how to make this happen automatically in Word 2013. Is this feature gone?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To save a preview in every document, open the Normal.dotm template (using File > Open and navigating to the Templates folder), press F12 (the Save As command), and check the Save Thumbnail box in the lower left part of the dialog before clicking OK. Repeat for every other template that you use regularly. That will cause the same box to be checked in the dialog the first time you save every document.

If you expect to see the previews in Word's Open dialog (or the same for workbooks in Excel or slide decks in PowerPoint) it isn't going to work because of this long-standing bug. Since you can see previews in Windows Explorer even for documents that don't have saved thumbnails, you might as well not bother saving them at all.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    FWIW, I am not a fan of including the preview for documents.

If the cover page contains a bitmap then the preview can add over 1Mb to the file size since the preview of the entire cover appears to be saved as a large bitmap irrespective of the size of the actual bitmap on that page. This is very inefficient in terms of file size and for me, the size hit is not worth the value of having a preview.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia