Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm fed up with Android Secrets too. It's been years since Windows Phone got a mention in WS newsletter, despite the recent Windows Phone 8.1 and Universal Windows Apps.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-07-11 at 21:15.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabyuk View Post
    I have been a subscriber to Windows Secrets paid edition for as long as I can remember and also to Fred Langa's site before it was swallowed by WS. I originally came in to make a mild rebuke about the top story in WS being all about Android. The clue is in the name. Having just spent the last twenty minutes trying to navigate my way here through the WS equivalent of the Kremlin Walls and stupid out of date security checking that I am so incensed that I have cancelled future subscription. What used to be a fantastic and eagerly awaited newsletter has become less and less informative and now is outreached by many other tech newsletters out there. Good bye Fred and good look with Android Secrets in the future.
    What is this "Kremlin Wall of Security"? I only have to log in with my user name (for The Lounge) and my Password (for The Lounge). For the newsletter, paid subscribers also may create a password for the Paid Content only, but that login is strictly optional to use The Lounge. I find no security around here which is any different from a typical Web Mail account.

I'm fed up with Android Secrets too. It's been years since Windows Phone got a mention in WS newsletter, despite the recent Windows Phone 8.1 and Universal Windows Apps.

Bruce
    Shirley you jest. I assume at least some sarcasm in this comment.

But Windows Phone could be mentioned more often, if the editors want to cover Mobile Devices more thoroughly.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-07-11 at 21:35.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Shirley you jest. I assume at least some sarcasm in this comment.
    None (and stop calling me Shirley).

Thanks
    Having just spent the last twenty minutes trying to navigate my way here through the WS equivalent of the Kremlin Walls and stupid out of date security checking
    Apparently there is a whole part of WS that I am missing!

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I know I'm a little late getting into this forum, but I'm reporting my experience using the recommended "Lookout" on my Nexus 10. Not sure why I put it on there, as I haven't had any problems in the 1.5 yrs. that I've off-and-on used it. Shortly after installing Lookout, I started getting a popup saying: "The page at ads.yahoo.com says: Warning (3) viruses have been found on your Android. Tap OK to remove them". Nope, I don't tap or click things like that! It didn't say anything about "Lookout", plus, I've never used yahoo anything. I didn't like the coincidence of this, so after a week of it, I uninstalled Lookout but I still get the same pop-up now and then. Any ideas? I'm not all that familiar with Android, so I'm wondering if there's an equivolent to "System Restore".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Theft Alert option (in Lookout anyway) is useless for wi-fi only tablets as there is no mobile (cell phone) sim in it.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Thanks
    I use Avast Mobile Security on my phone. It has one of the best Anti-Theft programs I've ever seen on any mobile security suite.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I wasn't too worried about theft. Is there a trusted app that could either get rid of the "3 viruses" or the fake notification? I'm a PC guy with no smart phone, so I'm not very familiar with Android at all.

Thanks
    Sadly, there's no System Restore equivalent in Android. Have you tried installing Avast from the Play Store? It has pretty good virus detection rates. Also, when do you get the popups? Do you get them even if your phone isn't connected to the Internet?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try the Avast app. It's only that one pop-up that I get on my Nexus 10 tablet, and yes, when I'm internet connected. As I pointed out, it never happened until I installed Lookout- and I don't have a smart phone.

Thanks
    All right then. Install Avast, run a full scan and report back here with the results.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12