New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry UNRESOLVED: Printer Share Fail: WIN7 laptop cannot print to WIN8.1 Desktop Printer

Recently replaced an old XP desktop with a new Win 8.1. Installed an HP Photosmart C4600 series printer & software on WIN8.1 desktop (using win8.1 driver package from HP website). Set up homegroup with printer sharing on WIN8.1 and then used WIN7 laptop to connect to homegroup. WIN7 sees printer but will not print. Used print troubleshooter on WIN7 laptop but it failed to find any problems.
    Last edited by Ozonemkr; 2014-07-12 at 16:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you installed the print driver on the Win7 machine?

Are the Windows versions 32-bit or 64-bit?

Joe

Thanks
    I don't use HomeGroup, I use workgroup networking, but here is a tutorial from Microsoft, HomeGroup from start to finish. It includes printer sharing.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7 laptop is 32 bit and has the printer driver installed. Win8.1 desktop is 64 bit and is connected directly to the printer and sharing it.
    Last edited by Ozonemkr; 2014-07-10 at 21:38.

Administrator
    Thanks
    From a 32-bit Win7 PC, I recently had a problem accessing a shared HP printer which is installed on 64-bit Win7. It might print once after a boot but no more than that. I ended up having to install 64-bit Win 7. No more problem. A bit drastic but it worked.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tutorial. I had already seen it before and set things up accordingly. I had previously shared the printer using the old desktop using home group. How is the workgroup setup/function better or different?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a conflict between the 64 bit Win8.1 desktop (sharing the printer) and the 32 bit Win 7 laptop?

Administrator
    Thanks
    It does not seem there should be but it appears there was in my case. Sorry, but I don't know for sure. I gave up trying to figure it out since I knew I could put a 64-bit OS on the PC.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone else help with this issue?