Thread: DataVac Update

Thanks

DataVac Update

Ok finally I got around to using the DataVac to clean my box. It looked a lot dirtier on the outside but was only moderately dirty on the inside. The blower in general did a very good job, would a cano'air have done better ? maybe but I don't think so. I had to use a que tip to clean my fans but my computer desk is in the same room as my kitchen and a bit of stick from oil is to be expected. I did mostly remember to block fan movement while blowing. (Note: I did forget while doing my girlfriends non booting computer and immediately stuck my finger in. Argyr*& it is still sore 2 weeks later, I guess there may be something to excess rotational speed causing damage, and maybe to bearings too )
    The unit does get HOT. I am sure it could easily self destruct if used w/o disgression.
    I would buy it again!

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I must admit to some ignorance (lack of information) about a DataVac, but I'm definitely an old hand at cleaning PC's (electronics in general).
    Been doing it for way too many years.

A shop vac or home vac. cleaner with crevice tool, works a treat for the dust you can see, but for the dust you Can't See, like inside the PSU, or down inside the CPU heat-sink, an air compressor putting out 80 to 100 psi, is my tool of choice.

Oh yes, by all means, prevent a fan from turning when you're using compressed air to clean it out. I'm probably not the only one whose had a fan blade come off that become a deadly missile when hit with 100 psi compressed air. Argggggh!
    First the little fan will scream like a banshee, they they will start throwing blades at you.

I have several favorite sayings, but the one that comes to mind right now is "a clean PC is a happy PC".
    With that thought in mind, I completely tear down my desktop PC once a year to clean everything and lubricate all my 11 cooling fans.
    What!? Lubricate a small cooling fan.....OH yes you can!!! But that's food for another thread.

Cheers mates.....keep it running ..... keep it clean!

Doc
    Last edited by DrWho; 2014-07-19 at 10:07.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!