Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer stopped working

I have the latest version of IE installed via Vista Business updates. I recently updated the Avast program and during the update, Avast installed Chrome—which I didn't want.

I uninstalled Chrome but ever since, IE doesn't work. I have a couple of uses where I prefer IE over Firefox so I want it back.

When I start IE, it just sits there with the comment that my last browser session ended unexpectedly. If I try to do anything—including just leave IE long enough—IE displays a dialogue box to say that it has stopped working.

Can anybody suggest a way of getting IE working again?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That problem is usually caused by add-ons and running IE without add-ons and if successful, restart IE then disable each add-on - restarting IE until you identify the culprit - but I would normally just use the restore points prior to Chrome being installed, although resetting IE to defaults can also get rid of unwanted add-ons.

If you use the restore points, redo what you did with Avast but look out for the bundled unwanted software check boxes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt reply. My problem was that I couldn't do anything with IE. However, inspired by your reply, I restarted Windows in Safe Mode and opened IE where I found in Internet Properties|Advanced the opportunity to Reset IE settings. This carries the warning 'You should only use this if your browser is in an unstable state.'

I thought, 'well that's me', and I went ahead. You need to restart IE after this reset so I restarted Vista in normal mode. IE worked and when I went switched the Favourites toolbar on, all my favourites were there and IE is working just fine. I was on holidays when the problem occurred and I tried everything I could think of. Talk of running IE without add-ons prompted me to try Safe Mode. Thanks again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The fact that it works okay in Safe Mode would suggest that it's Avast or an aspect of Avast such as its Toolbar that was stopping IE from working in normal mode.

You can access Internet Options in All Control Panel Items which will give you the same window under the Advanced tab.

To run IE without add-ons - go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) then you click on the Home page icon to see if you can browse.

In IE click on Tools - Manage add-ons and check for the Avast Toolbar which I believe can be uninstalled in Programs and Features, but if resetting IE to defaults has removed the add-on Toolbar then check to see if it is in Programs and Features and uninstall it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the follow-up. First, I don't install any of those toolbars. I have one specific use for IE and keep it as lean as possible. In fact, now retired, I used to test every piece of software that was to be installed on the computers used in our small business on a separate test box to eliminate possible problems. As small business proprietors, we did not have the time to chase problems caused by software clashes.

I suspect that it was something in the Avast installation of Chrome that trashed IE.

Recently, we updated the Avast program—as opposed to the virus data—on a Win XP computer that had Chrome installed and Avast installed Dropbox without giving the option to opt out.

I regard this as quite wrong.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, more and more unwanted software is being bundled with downloads but you should still be given the choice to opt out but glad you are back to where you want to be.

I've had a Google about this covert bundle and you aren't alone in complaining about it.

Apparently, the opt out is before the last button to update.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-17 at 04:22.

Thanks
    I use Avast on Windows 7, SP1. Yes, it is well hidden, but the Avast Dropbox add-on does have an opt-out by unchecking the box on that final screen. As for an IE add-on, this installs unless you install Avast with all the checkboxes unchecked. Within the Avast User Interface, I think there's a setting to disable the add-on,but removal would be through Add/Remove Programs and the browser's Manage Add-ons feature. Installing Chrome has no effect on IE performance in my experience. I already use Chrome for Windows, so all I watch out for is anything other than the Avast Add-on (which has site screening and other possibly useful features) which Avast might try to add.

I agree that "bundleware" is a nuisance and ought not to be occurring. If Avast were true Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) I might be on the verge of a rant here, but Alwil is a for-profit company, so offering Avast for free will naturally come at a price.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling your IE? Once you do, install it again. This works well for me. Also, IE tends to lag whenever I tend to open too many tabs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruellesmith View Post
    Have you tried uninstalling your IE? Once you do, install it again. This works well for me. Also, IE tends to lag whenever I tend to open too many tabs.
    We in North America cannot uninstall IE. That trick works only in specific regions where there is browser choice. North America is not one of those regions.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    We in North America cannot uninstall IE. That trick works only in specific regions where there is browser choice. North America is not one of those regions.
    I think what he meant, was to go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program -> Turn Windows Features on or off. There's the option of uninstalling IE from there.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    I think what he meant, was to go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program -> Turn Windows Features on or off. There's the option of uninstalling IE from there.
    That (in North American Editions) does not remove IE, last I read. Turning it off makes the browser part of it unavailable, but does not remove the IE components upon which the desktop Windows Explorer depends. Active-X is still available, among other things. At the very least, even when turned off, IE must still be patched as long as MS Updates detects its presence.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    That (in North American Editions) does not remove IE, last I read. Turning it off makes the browser part of it unavailable, but does not remove the IE components upon which the desktop Windows Explorer depends. Active-X is still available, among other things. At the very least, even when turned off, IE must still be patched as long as MS Updates detects its presence.
    Ah, yes. I understand now. Many parts of Windows rely on IE and it's impossible to remove it entirely. However, sometimes merely unchecking the IE box in the Turn Windows Features dialog box, rebooting, and checking the box again, rebooting, have helped to solve a few IE quirks.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    However, sometimes merely unchecking the IE box in the Turn Windows Features dialog box, rebooting, and checking the box again, rebooting, have helped to solve a few IE quirks.
    ... and that's a procedure recommended by Microsoft for IE11: What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working: Turn Internet Explorer off and on

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-16 at 16:02.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    ... and that's a procedure recommended by Microsoft for IE11: What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working: Turn Internet Explorer off and on

Bruce
    Since IE 11 is usually an upgrade, the upgrade can be removed. The system then reverts to using IE 10.

Turning off IE 11 without downgrading may solve the immediate issue, but it leaves you without the use of IE. For me, that is no loss, but others prefer to have a usable IE in their systems. (I use Chrome in Windows.)

But I get the point that turning IE 11 off, and then turning it back on (possibly rebooting in between) may solve a few IE 11 issues on some systems.

In any event, IE would not be completely removed (in North America). The user would still have to keep up to date with IE patching.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-08-18 at 01:12.
    -- Bob Primak --