New Lounger
    Thanks

Holiday Merging (Outlook 2000)

Hi,

What field (I suppose in Outlook) would you advise me to use for a 2 to 3 line personalization part to my Holiday letters, to be sent via both email and snail mail??

Ken

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Holiday Merging (Outlook 2000)

It's not exactly clear what you want to do. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can, although I must confess that I still haven't actually done a successful mail merge by starting in the Outlook contacts list. You mention "a 2 to 3 line personalization part...." Can you elaborate, please. If I understand you correctly, I think you'll want to do the personalization thing in Word, i.e., in the letter itself, not in Outlook. Outlook is going to furnish the database--names, addresses, edresses, etc. The text of the holiday letter you will build in Word. But give me a little more information about what you want to do.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You have it right....my question is where should I do the personalization paragraph, in Word or Outlook.

Sounds like you suggest Word.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, yes, in Word...I think. On the other hand, it looks as though there may be a way to do what you want with Outlook. I'm just now discovering the Field Chooser, and it's opening up a world of possibilities! It seems you could pick an existing field from the Field Chooser (say, "Notes"--or create a user-defined field) and put your "2 or 3 line personalization" into that field. Then you would simply insert a merge field for "Notes" or whatever in an appropriate place in your letter. I have zero experience with this, so my remarks are simply "theory." I was making my first attempt when I ran into that little snag that led to my posting a question in the Lounge. Perhaps another Lounger will have other ideas. The very best tutorial I've seen on the subject was in the two most recent issues of WOW, where Woody laid out the step-by-step. By the way: I mentioned earlier that I'd found the answer to my problem in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I've applied the fix, and a few moments ago I tried again to do the mail merge thing from Outlook to Word. It works! Just like Woody said. It's a beautiful thing!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lucas' advice is correct, I used a nickname field for people's names eg Greg rather than Gregory in a similar way - just put the merge field in and off you go!