Thanks

Failed Windows Update installation: KB2971850

My system: HP Pavilion g7 laptop, Win 8.1 64 bit.
    I have Windows Update set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

KB2971850 is classed as a Critical Update but won't install from Windows Update run manually.
    Get error code 80070002 but can't find any help with it.
    Changed Windows Update settings to full automatic in Control Panel, but KB2971850 still fails.
    Downloaded the offline installer file Windows8.1-KB2971850-x64.msu from Microsoft Download Center but it also fails.

Further research reveals.....
    Overall description:
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-038 - Critical
    Vulnerability in Windows Journal Could Allow Remote Code Execution

More details:
    "The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Journal file.
    The security update addresses the vulnerability by modifying the way Windows Journal parses Journal files."
    Note: [1]This update is for systems that have the 2919355 (Windows 8.1.1) update installed.
    Affirmative; and it's been working OK since installed and have had no other Critical Updates fail.

Apparently, this KB is only offered if Windows Update detects that Journal is installed; it must be on my
    system somewhere but I can't find it anywhere in Programs and Features or in Services.

My questions:
    1.] What is Windows Journal?
    2.] Is it a background process or a program that has to be run by the user?
    (If its a program that requires intentional interaction, I've never used it.)
    3.] If I never use it, can I safely hide KB2971850 and not have to be bothered with it again?
    4.] If I absolutely, positootly have to have this update, do y'all have any other suggestions on how to install it?

update: answered my own questions 1 and 2.
    My laptop does not have touch screen capability, so I turned off all Tablet functions
    in Programs and Features but Journal is still hiding somewhere.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2014-07-11 at 21:59.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which mentions that specific error number: Windows Update error "0x80070002" or "0x80070003"

If you can't install the update, you would have to be extremely careful never to run a .jnt file even if disguised as something else.

You can run Journal as mentioned in the latest Patch Watch: (To open the app, enter “Journal” into the Start menu search box.)

And/or find it at c:\Program Files\Windows Journal\journal.exe.

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanks Bruce,
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which mentions that specific error number: Windows Update error "0x80070002" or "0x80070003"Bruce
    Tried their automatic fix button; didn't help.
    Went to the advanced options and followed the instructions to stop WU service
    and delete contents of datastore and download folders and restart WU service; didn't help.

If you can't install the update, you would have to be extremely careful never to run a .jnt file even if disguised as something else.
    In Folder Options I have unchecked "Hide extensions for known file types" so its not as likely the baddies could slip one by me.

You can run Journal as mentioned in the latest Patch Watch: (To open the app, enter “Journal” into the Start menu search box.)
    And/or find it at c:\Program Files\Windows Journal\journal.exe.
    Since I'll never use it, I'd rather just uninstall Journal but can't find it in Programs and Features or in Revo Uninstaller
    and Windoze won't let me just delete the Windows Journal folder. Any ideas there?
    Happy Computing,

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the same error and managed to fix without trouble after some googling.

My system is Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Update (replacing Windows 7 by clean install).

I installed some programs that messed a little with it and got some corrupted files. After uninstalling and recreating the network access (yes, it messed my WiFi settings too), I ran SFC (file check) just to be sure, but not the DISM and Troubleshooters. What helped:

Just disabled Windows Firewall and Update, stopped Windows Defender service, deleted the Software Distribution folder, disabled all network options on "Adapter/Configuration" (like MS Networking, Routing, IPv4, etc), restarted and put things back in place again.

It worked for me. Good luck for you guys!