3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create System Repair disc for each computer?

In the office I volunteer at, 4 XP computers and 1 Vista computer were updated to Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
    --- On the formerly XP computers is it necessary to create a Windows 7 system repair disc for each one of the computers?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,039 Posts
    A single rescue disk should be enough.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'd say make 2 in case one doesn't work when you need it. But then I'm paranoid!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I'd say make 2 in case one doesn't work when you need it. But then I'm paranoid!
    I would take it one step farther. Make a repair disk, then make certain it will boot each computer. Then make a second, spare repair disk, and make certain that it will boot each computer.

Label them appropriately, and store them in a safe place, preferably sleeved or in a disc case.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-07-12 at 16:10. Reason: spelling
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone: excellent advice
    BTW, when it comes to paranoia, I've had more than a few friends who paid quite the price due to lack of "paranoia"
    I have learned the hard way that when something goes wrong and I wasn't ready for such-such a possibility I realized I better be ready from then on at least within reason
    --- That was the intent behind this topic; thanks again for your answers
    Plus on some of my friends who joked about why I take extra precautions; I wish I caught them on video when I saved their bacon - well their computers just from some simple precautions I had in place

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,039 Posts
    It's not hard to recover from a situation where you need a rescue disc, when you have more than one computer. This week I created a rescue disc on my 7 ultimate, uploaded the iso to my website, had a friend that was having problems with a computer running 7 Pro download the iso and burn it and then monitored the recovery using Skype. All ended well, with the target computer back to working shape .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice R4. One of my computers is Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and another one is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
    --- I have created a System Repair disc and an ISO for each one onto DVD-R
    One of my friends has a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    --- Same thing: System Repair disc and an ISO onto DVD-R
    I will do the same for the Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit mentioned in my original post if one is available
    The office also has a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and will likewise be attended to

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Another disk you may be interested in is the Kaspersky Recue Disk should you not be able to get in with the Repair disk.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15 I am adding the Kaspersky Resue Disk to my arsenal list of tools

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to use mine yesterday for the first time after inadvertently switching the power off at the wall socket for another laptop while this one was stuck restoring from a restore point.

Not sure if that initiated a chkdsk /f after I had selected Shutdown as I went to make a cup of tea while it was doing that and that was what I found when I came back to it.