Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Image backups: Move to new hardware with SYSPREP?

I've always used Image for Windows to do regular drive backups. An issue came up when my PC motherboard failed. It was under warranty so I limped along with another computer for two days until it was repaired.

I've used SYSPREP.EXE to generalize and move a hard drive to a new machine, how might I use a backup or an intact hard drive on a new machine if I can't boot it using the same hardware and perform the generalize?

Theft of the pc would be another scenario. We use CrashPlan for the data but I certainly like to avoid a complete reinstall.

The only option I've come up with involves duplicating the drive, running SYSPREP on the duplicate, and storing it. Major hassle!

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I've always used a VM (VMware) to run images up and sysprep prior to using them on real machines. A standard VM will have generic hardware that Windows can always run.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response. I do apologize but I'm not following... Are you using VMware to do image backups and then boot them in that environment to allow using sysprep? It seems I may need more of a step-by-step.

Thanks
    Search for BootItBare Metal on this forum. I have seen it recommened frequently but have never used it.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    What is Sysprep?
    Dependencies of Sysprep
    Sysprep has the following dependencies:
    • Sysprep is used after running Windows Setup.
    • You need an imaging tool, like ImageX, to capture an image of the installation.
    ImageX
    ImageX is a command-line tool that enables original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and corporations to capture, modify, and apply Windows images for rapid deployment. ImageX works with Windows image (.wim) files to copy directly to a destination computer, or it can work with other technologies that use the .wim files. Corporations that do not require the capture functionality or the low-level features included in ImageX can still use related technologies such as unattended installation, Group Policy, and Systems Management Server (SMS).
    Why are you using "image for windows" and not ImageX on top, which is suggested for sysprep?

The default windows imaging regimen alone is just too horribly simplistic, not to mention buggy and unreliable at best.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-08-08 at 02:17.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the first images I did was on hardware - I needed a base set of drivers to work with. Then I used ImageX to make an image and then restored that image on a VM and changed, added, injected drivers etc. Then sysprep and shutdown before booting from a CD image and taking a new image with ImageX. The hardest part is moving the WIM file back onto the network, but VMware makes that easy too.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul
    Do you manually remove all drivers from with in Device Manager as well ? I recall using sysprep when I moved XP to the new dual core and seem to remember removing drivers manually, I guess this would have been done before syprep.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no need to remove drivers most of the time - we did have a conflicting sound driver which was easy to remove. The removal / injection is done directly into the WIM using DSIM. No need to run the image and re-sysprep.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So going forward I should do regular backups using ImageX instead of Terabyte Image for Windows. Then I would have the ability to morph the installation of over to another set of hardware if my pc zonks.

This just in - Terabyteunlimited.com support replied recommending OSDTOOL be used with their backups. Thanks for the input! How videos below:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend using a backup program that has a bare metal restore - takes all the hassle out of the operation. ImageX is really only for building new PCs from a known image in a corporate environment.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the ignorant question but does the bare metal restore allow using the backup on new hardware? If I restore the exact image to another type of pc I've not had luck getting it to boot if the old drivers are present.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. It's designed to allow you to replace a broken / stolen PC. The boot CD / USB will sort out the drivers for the new hardware during the recovery.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Paul. Do you use Terabyte's BootIt Bare Metal recommended earlier or another?

Currently I have the computer creating an image weekly which is backed up offsite. The bare metal method would be a manual process I assume that I expect it would require booting from the disc/USB.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Acronis True Image. I don't think it matters which software you use as long as it does what you require.
    Yes, you boot from the recovery media created by the backup software.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T, does Acronis have a bare metal recovery?
    Thanks, RGSmith
    Computer Specs:
    Windows 7 Pro 64 -Bit
    1000W Silent Fan Power Supply
    Asus Z87-Pro MotherB
    4th Gen. Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Chip
    Crucial 32GB DDR3 Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video
    3 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 64MB HHD's
    Super Multi Blu-ray Burner
    24X DL 8.5GB DVD Burner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast