View Poll Results: Fact or Myth - does switching the computer On and Off daily cause Thermal Fatigue of Motherboard ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree and why

2 16.67%
  • Disagreee and why

10 83.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fact or myth: Never switch off computer

Fact or Myth - never switch off Computer because ..,

I was told many years ago to never completely switch off a notebook or a box computer because
    the expansion and contraction of the motherboard, CPU etc from hot to cold or cold to hot eventually something will prematurely crack and breakdown due to fatigue.

yes/no ??
    Opinions and experiences if any most welcomed.

Thanks
    Very many years ago some people (the very elderly!) thought that you should always ensure that an electrical socket had a plug inserted in it, because otherwise the electricity would leak out all over the carpet!

The persons who suggested that you should leave computer equipment on may have been thinking of 'thermal creep', where surface-mounted components like the original push-in memory chips in the IBM PC, XT, AT... could gradually work their way out of their sockets due to the change in temperature produced by the power off/on cycles.

There are arguments that power-cycling electronic equipment stresses the components. A counter argument is that warm (powered on) equipment might be more stable. Others may say the best state is powered off.

My cable modem and router are always left on; my main PC is allowed to go to sleep (if only because the front push power switch is a bit dodgy); my printer is usually switched off. Take your pick!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    if only because the front push power switch is a bit dodgy
    2 box pc's and 1 notebook, all 3 eventually got on/off switch breakdowns since my first pc in 1992.

Only 1 pc had some sort of solder problem on the motherboard, where I had to place a full coffee cup to add weight on the top left corner of the box, then it worked OK.
    Anywhere else it wouldn't work. Had to be the top left corner.

So the myth has an origin. By the time I got around to getting it fixed $$-properly-$$, it was replaced instead with a newer pc using the same HD, ofcourse, and chucked the "left-corner-coffee cupper".

Thanks
    I don't shut anything down. My laptops hibernate, my printer goes into standby, my modem and router are always on, my desktop is always on because I use Task Scheduler to take care of most of my routine maintenance in the wee hours.

My reasons have nothing to do with whether or not it's good/bad for the gear, and everything to do with availability. My oldest laptop was purchased in 2003, my newer laptop and my desktop were purchased in early 2010.

"Thermal creep" is real, but ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) PC's (anything built in the last several years) always leave some power on the motherboard--the on/off switch plugs into the motherboard, not the power supply (PSU), so thermal creep isn't really an issue.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-07-13 at 07:22. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Mechanical disks may wear out faster if they remain spinning, electronics may age due to heat stress if left on, the sudden power on may cause components to prematurely age. All are valid arguments, but I've seem a lot of dead PCs and the most common factor is age.
    Backup your data for the day your PC fails, or you make a boo boo, and do your bit for the planet by switching things off when you don't need them.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I have always shutdown my computers at night over the years with no detrimental effects to the computers. My view is that it gives the components a break and my electric bill a break.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Leaving things on can be expensive, apparently...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...rgy-bills.html

Thanks
    Ecotricity ignores the minor contribution to background heating which leaving these electronic devices powered up will make - useful during the winter. And ADSL routers should be left on permanently, anyway, for the technical reasons that a Google search will find!
    BATcher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XPDiHard View Post

I was told many years ago to never completely switch off a notebook or a box computer because
    the expansion and contraction of the motherboard, CPU etc from hot to cold or cold to hot eventually something will prematurely crack and breakdown due to fatigue.

yes/no ??
    I leave my computer on 24/7 for this very reason, unless I will be gone for a few days, in which case I shut it down and unplug it from the wall.

On the other hand, there is benefit to restarting Windows sometimes; but that can be accomplished with a restart rather than with an overnight shutdown.

Thanks
    Off or left on has been discussed for years and what it all boils down to is ones personal preference.

I turn mine off at night..
    The only benefit I can see from leaving it on at night is to not have to wait for it to boot..
    But God, is a few minutes of boot time really worth it or that much of an inconvenience ?

Maybe I'll apply for a Gov. grant to have a study on the benefits, or lack thereof, of leaving the PC on all night.

If they can get money to study sex habits of shrimp then by golly this study should easily qualify for Federal Funding..

Of course, the results will be posted here first.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    You will be aware of the apparently-compulsory final line of all research reports:
    "More research is needed"...
    BATcher

Thanks
    Bahhhhahahah, yes, always MORE research needed...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    A LOT more research! I can see the need for hiring a lot of others to assist with the research.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It was good to see the breakdown of those who do shutdown each time and those who keep their system powered up. Much like Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR-Boost Software
    www.boostsoftware.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XPDiHard View Post

yes/no ??
    Complete and utter bunk...It's all about the power saving and nothing more.
    If anything, shutting down reduces wear over a system being always "full on".
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast