View Poll Results: Fact or Myth - does switching the computer On and Off daily cause Thermal Fatigue of Motherboard ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree and why

2 16.67%
  • Disagreee and why

10 83.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well! Some say this has been argued over for nearly half a century, but it's good to see it being aired again. So far, it seems that positives outweigh the negatives in the vote to switch OFF.

OK, the components will run and last forever. OK mom can't find the on switch (can she operate her microwave?). OK, many are impatient and don't want a cup-of-coffee wait while the system boots up.

BUT, some of us are environmentally conscious about wasting energy (US users, shale gas will not last forever). The on-off reboot alerts us to updates, security and otherwise. And OS works better, opening with a 'clean sheet' at day's switch-on.

How do you vote?
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, seems to me, that depending on "when" updates are downloaded versus "when" you shut down" on a given PC could make a difference here. Personally (on my PC) I never let Windows updates download and install automatically. On my wife's PC, I make it automatic. If she ignores it....her problem I suppose. A windows update a few weeks ago (even after I waited several days to install the fixes) still caused multiple applications to crash...took me a little while to determine that it was a graphics driver update that caused all the mayhem. After I went to the AMD site and downloaded/installed the latest non-beta release that these crashes went away.

K

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a sleep button on my wireless keyboard and use that when I am finished using the computer, even for just an hour or so. Tapping the sleep button again quickly restores my desktop.

I do restart the computer at least once a week just to clear things up.

I use my laptop so seldom that I always turn it off when finished.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are many theories either way. Most are theoretical.
    One is fact.
    A shutdown computer consumes no power.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I shut down every night. Only because I have an old desktop and it hums loud during quiet time. As in sleeping. Doesn't ever overheat. Fan works fine. Blow out the inside occasionally to relieve the dust buildup. My older laptop is never left on. Gets too hot. Not in overheating. I use free software to monitor temp in both. I did a Google search recently and read where a young lady fell asleep with the laptop on her thighs. Woke up with burn marks on her legs.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When they said laptop they were just kidding, they didn't want to say thigh cooker TCPC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has gone 3 pages long, so took the hint and added a poll.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Shutdown vs sleeping, always a topic for discussion. The issue of wear is immaterial; an always-on machine won't wear out. Turning the machine off means considerable thermal stress when powered on. Hard drives fail more frequently during power up because of bearing loading which is why production servers are rarely powered down. But today's consumer equipment is so much more reliable that thermal stress and hard drive bearings are hardly an issue. The reality is that always-on wastes power that needs to be traded against convenience. The power companies are telling us to reduce our phantom loads (usually wall warts that use linear power supplies - the cheaper ones). An always-on computer is wasting power.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Harry, we are happy for the input but you need to back up your assertions please.

"an always-on machine won't wear out"
    How do you know this?
    "Hard drives fail more frequently during power up"
    Ditto

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem of thermal stress of the motherboard and packages was handled many, many years ago. The materials and processes now allow equipment to last for >20 years in a 50% duty cycle test, 2H on 2Hr off @ 200C. The power savings of most machines at 10 on and 14 off is significant. The fact that most hard drives die at turn on is a statistic taken out of context. It is anecdotal rather than statistical. Servers are on because they are expected to be, they are paid for 24/7.
    A computer cannot be hijacked if it is off.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From an elder, 75:

Been using PC's in busn as an operations & marketing mgr. since the Vic 20, late 70's and always shut down after use and never had a PC hdwe problem because of regular shutdowns. Anyway it's a moot point as PC's become obsolete after a few yr of use. I worry more about kludgy, poorly designed software, not just from the small guys, but the big guys as well.

klx

PS love this forum, you guys have been very helpful.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the issues that Microsoft "fixed" with Windows 8 is using UEFI and "fast start". Therefore, to me, sleeping a PC (especially Windows8 PCs) makes for a MUCH quicker "resume" than powering down does.

Maybe if you use your PC once per day (say 08:00 to 09:00 each day) then powering down might be OK.

But, for those people like me, who hop on and off the PC multiple times during the day a better bet (again IMHO) is sleeping the PC. I sure do not want to wait for my PC to boot from scratch, logon, load all the "background" tasks etc.

Thanks
    As another elder, over 70 and a PC builder/tech for over 34 years, I agree with the "turn it off when you're done with it" idea, like any other home appliance.

Home PC's, not servers or mainframes, are made with Hobby Grade components, bought from the lowest bidder. These PC's were NEVER designed or intended to be run in a 100% duty cycle (24x7). Witness, the cheap Chinese capacitors, that are causing failures of motherboards and PSU's all over the world.
    I've had to remove my own MSI motherboard twice, to replace failing capacitors. With new caps installed, my nine year old motherboard is running great.

Hard drives fail based on hours of ON time. Bearing failure is probably the #1 cause of HD failures and then there's failures in the electronics caused by too much heat.
    Remember, "Heat Kills".

This Hard Drive controller card shorted out and burned up. The PSU was also destroyed. This drive came from a customer's PC and was running at 100% duty cycle.

I've done thermal tests on Hard Drives while they were running, and I've found that most of the heat generated in a Hard Drive comes from the Stepping Motor that drives the platters. So one thing I've done, on my own PC's, is to go into Power Management in the OS and set the hard drive to power down after 5 to 10 minutes of inactivity. The little bit of time it takes the drive to spin back up when needed, is of little or no consequence in the overall scheme of things.
    The drive's Downtime allows it to cool off between uses and can preserve its life.

I've not personally lost a hard drive now, in many years. First I buy only high quality drives and then I always run them at a minimal duty cycle.
    And YES, I've always turned my PC's OFF, when I'm not using them. I even turn off the power going into the PC, with a switchable power strip.

Hey..... it works for me! But I do respect the rights of others, to run their PC's however they like, whether I think it's right or wrong. Eh?

Cheers mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    One of the issues that Microsoft "fixed" with Windows 8 is using UEFI and "fast start". Therefore, to me, sleeping a PC (especially Windows8 PCs) makes for a MUCH quicker "resume" than powering down does.
    Fast startup in Windows 8 only applies after shutdown. It's not relevant to sleeping:

Fast startup is turned in by default in Windows and is a setting that helps your PC start up faster after shutdown.

Windows does this by saving system info to a file upon shutdown so when you start your PC again, Windows uses that system info to resume your PC instead of restarting it.

Notes: The fast startup setting doesn’t apply to Restart. You need to shut down and then start your PC again for fast startup to take effect.

What is fast startup?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-07-19 at 10:22.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another "elder" here too but a little younger than Bronze <g> - only 64 here. I've worked in IT all my life and have never turned PC off when not being used since "sleep modes" came in. I had two seagate 1.5Tb drives go south in my server and those were replaced with WD black drives...so far, so good. I sleep the server also when not in use. I do have monitoring software running on the server that will notify both the console and my cellphone if HD temps (and other things) exceed the set limits.

Heat can kill electronic components although nowadays, solid state is much better in that respect.

Where in CF are you Bronze? I'm in Rockledge (on the space coast).

K
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2014-07-19 at 14:40.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast