Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

One disadvantage in running a clean boot is that it deletes the restore points
    It does? This is just W8 right??

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post

It does? This is just W8 right??

I can't remember the article that I read it in but it just mentioned Windows without being version specific.

However, I've just performed a clean boot on this Win 7 laptop after first checking that I had restore points and noted they were still intact after the reboot and again after reverting to a Normal boot.

I reset the msconfig items back to the way I had and they were still there again after the reboot.

It would seem that the clean boot hasn't affected this Win 7 machine, but not all Win 7 machines are the same so perhaps it's something to be aware of, as Win 7 has a habit of deleting them anyway for which I have yet to see a viable fix that works for all.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-15 at 05:46.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wondering if the comment in the article that I previously read about the restore points was referring to one of the Less common causes in http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrps.html as it didn't elaborate as to why.

Edit - As a follow up to this, it is very specific to at least XP (Method 1 - Diagnostic startup) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560 but the warning doesn't appear in the procedures for >XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Sorry for any consternation I may have caused.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-15 at 12:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try setting the router to transmit only G band (not N). Not all network cards do N, and I have had similar wireless problems that I solved by not transmitting N. It is a little slower, but if it works ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If you are still up against a brick wall with this, then try booting each laptop up in a clean boot then re-enable a few non MS services or a Startup item at a time in the Win 8 machine if with both laptops in a clean boot allows the Internet to remain connected and then repeat the process with the Win 7 machine if that hasn't produced a result.

If that does produce a result, then boot up the Win 8 machine in a clean boot with the Win 7 booted up normally, enabling bits at a time and that may produce what is conflicting with what.

The only thing that could remotely affect the connection, but this could anyway with just the Win 8 machine switched on and that is Bluetooth, but that is designed to move away from any already assigned DHCP IP addresses.

One disadvantage in running a clean boot is that it deletes the restore points, but if both machines are running fine, then that won't be a problem but you will need to go into System Protection/Configure to ensure that the space allocated for the restore points is not set to 0 Bytes for Windows to continue to create the Automatic ones.

I already formatted the Windows 8 laptop but to no avail. Still trying to put off the formatting of win 7 laptop as it is my roommate's. I will put that as a last resort option.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1953dave View Post
    Try setting the router to transmit only G band (not N). Not all network cards do N, and I have had similar wireless problems that I solved by not transmitting N. It is a little slower, but if it works ...
    Already tried. Doesnt work

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried assigning the Win 7 laptop with a static IP address as advised, but to eliminate Bluetooth as the conflict, can you turn Bluetooth off in the Win 8 machine to see if that makes any difference http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2012...-in-windows-8/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the latest driver I can find for your Dell 1703 but if you go to the Dell Support site and enter your Service Tag, there may be something more recent - but you could check to see if the driver version you have matches or supersedes http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...&categoryId=NI

It won't do any harm to re-download the wireless driver anyway, but check that the Compatibility applies to your model.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-19 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    , as Win 7 has a habit of deleting them anyway for which I have yet to see a viable fix that works for all.

IIRR dual booting has been the cause of this.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dzvpnhvdnp View Post
    I am facing a strange problem with my internet connection on Windows 8...
    Re:
    "Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
    "DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1"

I cannot recall working on any customer's netgear router that used an IP in the 10.10 range - always in the 192.168 range.

I'm guessing your Netgear router is connected to the Internet through an ADSL or Cable modem/router? If so that would explain the 10.10 IPs.

Some older ADSL or Cable modem/routers I have worked on have a limitation imposed by the ISP to only allow one computer to access the Internet at any one time. I.e.: the modem/router's DHCP server will only assign one IP address, and no more (hence you have to disconnect one computer before you can connect the other).

You probably need to have a very close look at the DHCP settings in your Netgear router to see if you can tell the Netgear to assign IP addresses instead of your Internet modem/router. You might also have to disable the DHCP server in your Internet modem/router.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Re:
    "Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
    "DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1"

I cannot recall working on any customer's netgear router that used an IP in the 10.10 range - always in the 192.168 range.

I'm guessing your Netgear router is connected to the Internet through an ADSL or Cable modem/router? If so that would explain the 10.10 IPs.

Some older ADSL or Cable modem/routers I have worked on have a limitation imposed by the ISP to only allow one computer to access the Internet at any one time. I.e.: the modem/router's DHCP server will only assign one IP address, and no more (hence you have to disconnect one computer before you can connect the other).

You probably need to have a very close look at the DHCP settings in your Netgear router to see if you can tell the Netgear to assign IP addresses instead of your Internet modem/router. You might also have to disable the DHCP server in your Internet modem/router.

Thanks for the info!

Yes I do have an ADSL router (with 192.... local address) and although I changed it a year back with a newer model the issue you mentioned might still be the root cause.
    Let me check and get back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12