2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recalcitrant hard drive

When I rebuilt my wife's computer two years ago, I installed a fresh copy of Win 7 home in a new drive, thinking to use the old drive (with windows on it) as a back-up, which I did.

Now I want to clean this disk off but windows 7 will not let me format it, probably because of the disused copy of windows that I did not delete when i swapped things around.

I have an old copy of Darik's boot and nuke from years ago which I tried to use but there is no DOS floppy in that box to receive the error file generated when DBAN did its quick analysis and found bad sectors (not reported by other diagnostic software).

Anybody got any ideas? Or just buy a new disk, they're cheap enough?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Check in Disk Manager (Start > Run > diskmgmt) to see if the disk is listed as system or boot. If so you may not be able to remove the disk without some fiddling to move files to your main disk.
    If all is OK you can boot from a Linux CD and use one of the disk management programs to format the disk.
    Might also be worth running the drive manufacturer's diagnostics program to see if the disk really is flakey.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to try HDDScan v3.3 to check out the HDD http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...r_windows.html

Thanks
    If it is an old drive and is already having bad sectors then it might be wise to replace it with a new reliable drive to avoid more future hassles trying to keep that old drive in your system.

Thanks
    Now I want to clean this disk off but windows 7 will not let me format it, probably because of the disused copy of windows that I did not delete when i swapped things around.
    If the OS won't let you format it, then go around, or underneath it; What is the Format Command?
    Make a boot disk and use the command prompt to format the drive, or dismount the drive and then proceed to format it.
    http://askleo.com/checking-and-repai...k-with-chkdsk/

Anybody got any ideas? Or just buy a new disk, they're cheap enough?
    Once the formatting is done, perform a thorough chkdsk /r on the drive.
    Check the drive with Hard Disk Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo

aa.jpg
    I've been in the process of monitoring one of my drives for the past several months.
    If you see the above then it's only a matter of time before a replacement will be in order.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-07-15 at 07:35.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.