New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 10 and Chrome cause Win 8 to freeze

This has been happening for a while, and I can't see me being the only one it happens to.
    I'm running Windows 8 64-bit and every now and then, IE 10 or Chrome will freeze the whole system for 5 -10
    seconds when I click on a link. I can't do anything until it decides to unfreeze, and then it runs fine.
    I think this has been happening for the past few months, but not a year ago. Maybe an update did it?
    Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try resetting IE settings at Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset.

Why still IE10 when IE11 has been standard on Win 8 for 9 months?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try resetting IE settings at Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset.

Why still IE10 when IE11 has been standard on Win 8 for 9 months?

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce.. I'l give that a try... IE 11 won't install on Win 8.0, just Win 8.1
    I switched to Chrome, because IE 10 can be exasperatingly slow sometimes, like you
    can't scroll until the whole web site has loaded, whereas you can in Chrome.
    P.S. I haven't upgraded my desktop to 8.1 because it doesn't like my AMD cpu..
    Last edited by RandyH; 2014-08-04 at 17:31.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If resetting IE to defaults doesn't do it, it could be a Shockwave Flash conflict with Chrome's embedded version.

http://www.sorcim.com/knowledgebase/...ASH_CRASH.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If resetting IE to defaults doesn't do it, it could be a Shockwave Flash conflict with Chrome's embedded version.

http://www.sorcim.com/knowledgebase/...ASH_CRASH.html
    Thanks Sudo15... I'll read through this and try it. I did install Reginout for about 10 minutes...Don't you just love programs that find 1400 registry errors that CCleaner doesn't find, but won't fix them unless you buy it?
    Some of the info may be a reason why some videos won't play in Chrome but do in IE 10. So that may get fixed too.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    Thanks Sudo15... I'll read through this and try it. I did install Reginout for about 10 minutes...Don't you just love programs that find 1400 registry errors that CCleaner doesn't find, but won't fix them unless you buy it?
    Some of the info may be a reason why some videos won't play in Chrome but do in IE 10. So that may get fixed too.
    Sorry, it wasn't my intention for you to use that repair program but to follow the manual steps lower down the page.

These paid for programs always seem to find more than is there and letting one of those programs loose on your registry would normally spell disaster, unless you had created a system image before squeezing the trigger.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Sorry, it wasn't my intention for you to use that repair program but to follow the manual steps lower down the page.

These paid for programs always seem to find more than is there and letting one of those programs loose on your registry would normally spell disaster, unless you had created a system image before squeezing the trigger.
    No problem... I didn't let it try to clean anything. And I wouldn't without a backup. I did disable the flash
    extension in Chrome, but won't know if it has any effect until I hit a video it wouldn't play before.
    Thanks.