Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System 32

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry System 32

(Recent post system 32 dll error)
    Recently my daughter was out on facebook, when she returned to windows she brought back a virus that delete random system32 and windows system files. Windows Defender did not catch the virus. I had to get a system recovery disc from gateway because the virus corrupted the recovery backup as well. Needless to say I am still waiting on the disc from gateway and having to use a friends computer. This virus is very nasty so please cya and watch out.

Screwed, Blued and Tattooebear221

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry for your problem. Good reason to create regular backup images.

Do you know what the virus is?

Joe

Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does your the computer have files that you need to save such as email or photographs? depending on how badly the file system is corrupted, you may be able to recover them using a Linux Live DVD.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly Windows Defender does very poorly in tests against other AV software.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can boot up into Safe Mode you may be able to run MSRT by going Start (depending upon the OS which could be Win 8.1 if you are using Defender) type mrt.exe - press enter and run a full scan.

Or as you have access to another computer, create a Kaspersky Recue Disk to boot up with and run that - the scans can take a while to complete.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-15 at 18:52.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    better reason to stay off facebook

their fine print warns about things they do that facilitate such problems being done to you

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Sorry for your problem. Good reason to create regular backup images.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

JoeP517

[QUOTE=JoeP517;959367]Sorry for your problem. Good reason to create regular backup images.

Backed up with nero can't get it back. Go figure

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nero Backup really sucks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Will try it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mrt.exe command does not work, invalid command but thanks anyhow. Gateway sent me the recovery discs. When I finally get rid of this damn virus I will make the rescue disc. Hopefully I won't need it.

Thank you
    bear221

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This got through Norton Pro. This virus sucks rocks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have hard-headed smartass children that make it their mission to do the opposite of what they are told even with the site not allowed thru Family Safety. Any thoughts on this would be gladly use to stop the smartasses.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As you have Norton then you will also have the option to run NPE, but using it this way from within the program, I think it only runs in Rootkit mode which is quite aggressive and could take out other programs, but as it got past it in the first place, it could be debatable whether it would find the infection or be able to do anything with it.

I have NPE as a separate .exe in my Downloads folder so I can opt for the Standard scan.

If you have the option for Safe Mode with Command Prompt or can access the cmd prompt from Safe Mode, you can also run mrt.exe from there.

For example, type mrt.exe /F:Y to run a full scan and automatically clean the infected files.

To exit from Safe Mode with Command Prompt, shutdown and restart - enter shutdown /r

The Kaspersky Rescue Disk after scanning C: could initiate a chkdsk /f to repair any damaged/corrupt files, but a recent scan with it on mine took ~9hrs for it to get through my C: in Win 7 - but it did the job although it wasn't to disinfect - but which may negate the need for you to factory reset your computer with the OEM disks.

As for the kids - tell them if they screw it again by going to sites they shouldn't then you won't get it fixed and they'll be without a computer - or chop their hands off
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-26 at 08:49.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bear221 View Post
    Have hard-headed smartass children that make it their mission to do the opposite of what they are told even with the site not allowed thru Family Safety. Any thoughts on this would be gladly use to stop the smartasses.

Thanks
    It depends on your starting point. Do your children have their own computers?, or do they have accounts on the family computer. In any case, you should have the password for the administrator's account, and your children should have user accounts.

Then when they want to install something, they will have to call you, and you will be able to review what they are installing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast