Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System 32

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Children will find a way around everything that you try to do.
    As for virus' - I told them that it'll cost them what it costs my customers ($200 US for a virus removal w/hardware diags).
    I was going to give them a break on earning it ($50 credit for mowing the lawn, etc)
    The older boy decided to stop using the computer :0)
    The younger boy researched things and started removing his own virus' :0)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like you could have an apprentice but a pity about the elder boy no longer using the pc - unless he prefers the $50 in cash rather than credit for mowing the lawn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bear221 View Post
    Have hard-headed smartass children that make it their mission to do the opposite of what they are told even with the site not allowed thru Family Safety. Any thoughts on this would be gladly use to stop the smartasses.

Thanks
    I see no reason why minor children are entitled to a computer. The only reason they have one is because of the extreme generosity of their dad. Same applies to cell phones, etc.

In light of this, here are some things you could do:

1. Ban them from your computer.

2. If you are so inclined, get a kids computer for them to use. But only if you are so inclined.

3. Block certain web sites in your router, and put a good password on your router.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-07-28 at 15:51.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I see no reason why minor children are entitled to a computer. The only reason they have one is because of the extreme generosity of their dad. Same applies to cell phones, etc.

In light of this, here are some things you could do:

1. Ban them from your computer.

2. If you are so inclined, get a kids computer for them to use. But only if you are so inclined.

3. Block certain web sites in your router, and put a good password on your router.
    In the UK kids have computer lessons in school from an early age and having access to one at home can be an aid to their learning as well as their use later for homework.

Unfortunately, I think the biggest enemy is Facebook and because of interaction between their friends, some nasties can get onto the computers through exploitation of the unwary in clicking on this, that or the other.

Fortunately, these two boys have a father who is well versed in infections and some education as to the pitfalls would stand them in good stead.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The best thing that I've found is to put the computer in a common area where what they're doing is visible (without them being spy'd upon)
    Then when you see them doing something that they shouldn't be - that's the time for creating consequences for their actions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12