New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating records in Excel 2000

So this is real simple. I just want to be sure my 3 column rows are tied together so I can alphabetize using the first column. I've done searches here, been online and even in my book it doesn't explain how I make sure the column entries remain connected, giving me a record. I have 89 'records'. I made a dupe so I can fool around but I'd appreciate anyone able to tell me how to tie the column entries of each row into a record. I'd like to use Excel 2000 as that's installed, rather than rely on 2013/cloud to open the table each time.

Thank you for any feedback in advance,

Mac

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand you correctly, you have 3 columns and 89 rows and want to alphabetize by the first column and have the other 2 columns sort accordingly with the 1st column
    --- If so, left click on the empty box left of A and above 1
    --- This will highlight the complete worksheet, click on Data on the menu, click on Sort in the ensuing list
    --- On the Sort dialog box, select Column A or the assigned Title only
    --- If you have a Header Row, click it in
    There are more ways to accomplish what it is what you want to do

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you trying to take the data in 3 columns and concatenate all three and place the result in another cell?

If so, and your data is in A1, B1, and C1, and you want the result in D1: =A1&B1&C1 and fill that down.

Just alphabetizing, see the earlier post. Excel will assume you want the data associated.

See the attached. I clicked on A1, then the sort option and the instructions from the earlier poster.

Clip0008.jpg
    Last edited by kweaver; 2014-07-14 at 19:14.

Thanks
    Mac,

Let's say your columns are A, B, and C while the rows are from 1 to 89 assuming no header. Following cmptrgy's thought, if you have additional data elsewhere on the sheet but do not want to include it in the sort then select A1 and drag to C89 to highlight the range. Continue with the sort process as he describes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cmptrgy & Maudibe thanks. Don't know where kweaver got concatenation but the first set of steps should work. Can't understand why something so simple isn't in my book, especially given it's cost.

Thanks again,

Mac

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Mac,

What was described by cmptrgy and maudibe will work. Make sure you make the selection as suggested. But just one little thing to watch for in case it happens: if Excel thinks you're only selecting col A to be sorted, it will give you a msg saying it detected data in columns next to your selection and ask if you want those cols sorted as well to go along with col A. Obviously you do based on what you said, so answer yes. I haven't done any sorts in some time, so I think this msg comes up when you use the icon on the toolbar to sort things and didn't select all the needed columns. If you go thru the dialog as suggested, I don't recall if this msg comes up. But then again, when I do sorts, I almost always use the icon (it has an "A-->Z" on it and there's another to reverse sort).

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    According to Fred, what he brings up to watch for is true, but that depends on whether or not you select only column A to be sorted
    I understand kweaver's concatenation approach because of the "3 column rows are tied together" description and I was wondering the same thing myself
    That's why I started my post with "If I understand you correctly"
    The good news is it appears my recommendation to select the complete worksheet or Mac's recommendation to highlight the desired section will work fine in your case