Banned Member
    Thanks

How to update Office Home & Student 2013

I have windows 8.1 and with my new pc i bought in Mid Dec 2014 I bought Office / Home & Student 2013 as told I needed to get by Best Buy Geek Squad. I update my Windows updates manually and do alot of reading on Ask Woody, I have the Newsletter and I read Microsofts pages when I don't understand something in Woody or the Newsletter. Here is my question. I have never seen in any of these the words : Office/Home & Student when referring to a KB fix. The only thing I ever see is Office 2013. Is this the same thing as Office/ Home & Student? I have to assume that it is but if they want to be so precise on everything why don't they call something by its full name? I have never seen anywhere also where anyone tells u that Office / Home & Student 2013 is the same as Office 2013?? Maybe a stupid question to some here but call it what the hell it is.
    Pat

Thanks
    Office 2013 is the name of the superset of all the different Office apps (programs). Your version of Office has Word, Excel, Powerpoint and one or two others. Office Pro 2013 has more apps - like Access for example. Just Google for Office 2013 and you will be able to see what each version of Office contains. AFAIK, update updates the individual apps, should you have them.

Thanks
    "Office 2013" is a version of Office. "Home and Student" is an edition of Office. There are several other editions of Office 2013, see this Wikipedia article.

The KB fixes for office programs are for specific programs, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc., so it makes little sense for M$ to mention a particular edition of office regarding a KB fix.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if you update manually, you will only be offered the updates you need. Furthermore, if you look up the KB article at Microsoft, it will tell you what applications it applies to.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Office 2013 is the name of the superset of all the different Office apps (programs). Your version of Office has Word, Excel, Powerpoint and one or two others. Office Pro 2013 has more apps - like Access for example. Just Google for Office 2013 and you will be able to see what each version of Office contains. AFAIK, update updates the individual apps, should you have them.
    Thanks for ur reply. First I have no idea what AFAIK stands for? I know that if I update manually Microsoft only sends me updates for 8.1 that apply to me but if I am looking at an actual Microsoft page explaining the KB # or anything it still only says OFFICE 2013 so I have no idea if what I am reading applys to me there as it does not distinguish if it is for Home and student or anything else that I can see. Thnaks

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    "Office 2013" is a version of Office. "Home and Student" is an edition of Office. There are several other editions of Office 2013, see this Wikipedia article.

The KB fixes for office programs are for specific programs, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc., so it makes little sense for M$ to mention a particular edition of office regarding a KB fix.
    Well, I guess since I update Windows updates manually it is going to be less of a headache for me to just install what i get from Microsoft Updates if Ask woody and the woman in the newsletter in her patches say so cuz I still don't understand how to differentiate a Office 2013 article for update by Microsoft cuz they don't say what version it is for Just office 2013 is all I see so reading microsoft and anything else is just confusion as far as I can see. Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Even if you update manually, you will only be offered the updates you need. Furthermore, if you look up the KB article at Microsoft, it will tell you what applications it applies to.
    WEll,I don't see where it tells u anything in Microsoft about which KB number applys to Home and student or any other version all I see is Office 2013. So like u say I am going to quit reading Microsoft , Ask Woody and the Newsletter patches on office 2013 and just update what Microsoft sends me to my pc and then look on the newsletter if it is ok to update. Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoo2 View Post
    Thanks for ur reply. First I have no idea what AFAIK stands for?
    As far as I know

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoo2 View Post
    Thanks for ur reply. First I have no idea what AFAIK stands for?
    I'm sure that Google would help you with AFAIK, if you don't believe access-mdb...
    But what does "ur" stand for?!
    BATcher

Primary school is much better than the adult world - you get to do a lot more colouring in.

Thanks
    drdoo2:
    FYI ( For Your Information ), Office 2013 updates by itself using "Click To Run" (I believe that's what it's called). I have Office Home & Student 2013 which comes with everything except Outlook ( which I don't need anyway).
    When you open a word document, etc., click on File>account and you can access office updates to see what updates have been installed and navigate to see what has been updated. You can also find where to turn off "Click To Run", which I don't recommend, but that option is there.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-01-31 at 13:25.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AFAIK is an acronym for As Far As I Know. It's unfortunate for a lot of computer users that the 'slang' seen on chat and texting have migrated into support forums given that computing relies upon precise information to facilitate possible solutions for problems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I'm sure that Google would help you with AFAIK, if you don't believe access-mdb...
    Clickme

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    AFAIK is an acronym for As Far As I Know. It's unfortunate for a lot of computer users that the 'slang' seen on chat and texting have migrated into support forums given that computing relies upon precise information to facilitate possible solutions for problems.
    I will treat that as ASOTW

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Nicely put BATcher. One of the best I have seen.