Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    @GSAugustas,
    If you go to the link on my post #11, you will notice that some people are having excruciating pains in attempts to install IE11, but this is a small subset of installations.
    In my case, this is a single laptop with Win7(x64) that refuses to install IE11 successfully. Few other Win7(x64) that I maintain haven't had any such issues at all.
    My workhorse is a Win8.1Pro machine and although it also had no problems with IE11 install; I rarely (if ever) use IE11. Since I prefer to use Firefox with many add-ons and customizations that agree with the way I work.
    During my 7+ month trials and tribulations of IE11 install attempts at that laptop, it has never crashed the OS or caused any other problems, with the exception that it just continues to "Failed Install".
    Like Nike said "Just do it"!
    @krazykat, There have been some discussions regarding InternetExplorer when set to EPM (Enhanced Protection Mode in options) that forces IE11 to the 64 version, as the current package is a unified 32/64bit package! I have seen some recommendations that tell installers with 64bit machines to first enable EPM in IE10, so that the IE11 does not default to the ProgramFiles(x86) directory!
    Last edited by pseudoid; 2014-07-24 at 17:51.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you supply some links for the info you have given krazycat.

I have IE in both Program Files and x86 in my Win 7 x64bit just as other programs are duplicated.

IE 11 or any other IE update is an enhancement of the base version of IE that comes as part of Windows and with Win 7 64bit (as I understand it is built on a base 32 bit platform), IE would be default installed in both Program Files.

EPM is a mode and not a version and if you obtain IE 11 through Windows Updates, it will detect which OS platform you are using, whereas a direct download of IE 11 offers both 32 and 64 bit OS versions.

When either up or down grading, I always reset IE to defaults first.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-24 at 18:34.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I only use IE to connect to my employer's VPN from my desktop box. I currently have IE 10, and tried updating to 11 while still on XP (I now have Win 7 Pro 64-bit).

It was a NIGHTMARE. The VPN wouldn't connect, it kept throwing errors, and there was just no reason to keep it on. I rolled back to 10 as quick as my CPU could go!

IMO, if you don't need 11 for some incredibly important reason, don't "upgrade". Just leave it alone until there's a release that doesn't make it impossible to connect to remote hosts. Not a big request, you'd think, but Microsoft apparently thinks it's a ridiculous one....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    An alternate opinion: I have changed all three of our home PCs to Win 7 64 bit with IE11- all three run smoother than they did with 32 bit, and there are no problems with IE.Also, the only virus protection I use is MSE with occasional use of MBAM (free) and MSE scanner - and have had no problems keeping the PCs uninfected over the last year or more.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

Not sure what you are asking. My post was giving information about how to use the Microsoft supplied program to easily "roll back" your current "installed" version of IE to the previous version. Microsoft instructions are silent about how the current version was "installed" ( Windows update, direct install from download). In my case, I was using IE9 (32bit) direct download install that was automatically updated to IE11 through autoupdate. My system is WIN7 PRO, 64 bit. The "roll back" procedure worked with no technical problems. As for a link, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html , gives detail steps on how to run the "roll back" procedure.

I also mentioned that if your system is 64 bit, the roll back will, by default, install the 64 bit version of IE. In my case the 64bit version was of no use to me because applications I needed to use were not compatible with IE9 64 bit. So, I had to close the 64bit version and open the 32bit version. The roll back procedure install both 32 and 64 bit versions, look in Start, All Programs, there will be a folder for IE or may be separate listings for IE32 and 64 bit. Double click on the version you want to use.

Lounger
    Thanks
    @wobblerlorri,

FYI, If you were using the 64 bit version of IE11, that may have been causing your VPN problem (see my post #14). I know of several VPNs and financial institutions that will not work with 64 bit IE of any version (IE 9, IE10, IE11). Just curious, when you rolled back to IE10 did you install the 32 or 64 bit?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    Sudo15,

Not sure what you are asking. My post was giving information about how to use the Microsoft supplied program to easily "roll back" your current "installed" version of IE to the previous version. Microsoft instructions are silent about how the current version was "installed" ( Windows update, direct install from download). In my case, I was using IE9 (32bit) direct download install that was automatically updated to IE11 through autoupdate. My system is WIN7 PRO, 64 bit. The "roll back" procedure worked with no technical problems. As for a link, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html , gives detail steps on how to run the "roll back" procedure.

I also mentioned that if your system is 64 bit, the roll back will, by default, install the 64 bit version of IE. In my case the 64bit version was of no use to me because applications I needed to use were not compatible with IE9 64 bit. So, I had to close the 64bit version and open the 32bit version. The roll back procedure install both 32 and 64 bit versions, look in Start, All Programs, there will be a folder for IE or may be separate listings for IE32 and 64 bit. Double click on the version you want to use.
    My comments were directed at pseudoid's reference to you in Post #16 - I haven't seen your post regarding the roll back and your sevenforums.com link is vague as to the exact thread you are referring to.

I'm aware that IE 9 comes back as a 64 bit version from my own experience and prior to IE 10, in All Programs there were two listings for IE - one as IE (64 bit).

New Lounger
    Thanks

You might try...?

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    @GSAugustas,
    If you go to the link on my post #11, you will notice that some people are having excruciating pains in attempts to install IE11, but this is a small subset of installations.
    In my case, this is a single laptop with Win7(x64) that refuses to install IE11 successfully. Few other Win7(x64) that I maintain haven't had any such issues at all.
    My workhorse is a Win8.1Pro machine and although it also had no problems with IE11 install; I rarely (if ever) use IE11. Since I prefer to use Firefox with many add-ons and customizations that agree with the way I work.
    During my 7+ month trials and tribulations of IE11 install attempts at that laptop, it has never crashed the OS or caused any other problems, with the exception that it just continues to "Failed Install".
    Like Nike said "Just do it"!
    @krazykat, There have been some discussions regarding InternetExplorer when set to EPM (Enhanced Protection Mode in options) that forces IE11 to the 64 version, as the current package is a unified 32/64bit package! I have seen some recommendations that tell installers with 64bit machines to first enable EPM in IE10, so that the IE11 does not default to the ProgramFiles(x86) directory!

GSAugustas,
    I don't know if you've tried this or not on your problem laptop. But have you tried uninstalling all BHO's in IE and making all settings default before trying to install IE11?
    If not try that first, I have found sometimes that removing all BHO's before installing an update for IE helps.

-GD-

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
    An alternate opinion: I have changed all three of our home PCs to Win 7 64 bit with IE11- all three run smoother than they did with 32 bit, and there are no problems with IE.Also, the only virus protection I use is MSE with occasional use of MBAM (free) and MSE scanner - and have had no problems keeping the PCs uninfected over the last year or more.
    My situation is basically the same as yours.
    I am running a Lenovo laptop with Win 7 64-bit using only MSE, MBAM, and SpywareBlaster for protection. No infections for many years, but I like to think that I am very wary with email (Thunderbird) and very careful surfing the web.

Since Win 7 works fine for me, I have not thought of any reason to migrate to Win 8.
    I use Firefox 98% of the time, and keep it updated, along with its plugins and extensions.
    I use IE the other 2% of the time, if a website does not seem to render properly in Firefox. I just checked my IE to see that it is version 11.0.9600.17207 Update Version 11.0.10 (KB2962872).
    I do not even recall when I upgraded from IE9 to IE11, so there were no memorable problems.

I should say that I usually follow the recommendations of Susan Bradley here at Windows Secrets, and just think of IE as part of the OS, so I update and patch it when she gives the OK. There have been almost no problems with this strategy over a period of several years.

Sorry to learn that others have had such time-consuming challenges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12