Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have IE 9: Take plunge to IE 11?

OK, I've been satisfied with IE9 but I keep getting IE11 offered via Windows Updates. I guess it is time to update as some sites indicate I should upgrade. Is there any problem upgrading via Windows Updates?
    Is IE11 similar to IE9 in terms of appearance and operation?

Does it take a long time to do the upgrade?

I have W7 Home and W7 Pro (two laptops).

Mel

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Mel.

Biggest potential problem is from the Platform Update that's required before you can step up from IE9: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838 note that the compatibility section currently there is just a small fraction of what might happen (the page has been changed 8+ times) should 'something' not like this 'upgrade'.

I'd create a Restore point and a full backup before testing the Platform Update, should everything work as expected over the next 3-5 days, it's probably quite safe to update through to IE11.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-16896a25dc3d

There are several other topics in the Lounge about KB2670838 .

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow:

Thanks for the information. Frankly, it is rather intimidating. I think I might just forego the update!

Mel

Thanks
    I'm sure that 95%+ of users have no problems - but if you're using a notebook, you do have a greater chance of hitting an issue.

I only use IE for 5-15 minutes per week, it doesn't bother me not having the latest version. IE is still tied into parts of the OS so you really should try to keep it fully updated to be safe; the more plugins (Java, Flash, Reader etc.) you use in IE, the more vigilant you need to be with security concerns.

The Update changes several graphics and imaging files so it's mostly graphics related bugs/corruption you should be on the lookout for, test all your normal workload of programs once or twice, if you don't see anything odd, you should be safe to continue on up to installing IE10 and 11

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    IE 11 has proven problematic in Win 7 for some (including me) and have settled for IE 10 which you can download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...0-details.aspx and if you like that as a taster, then upgrade to IE 11.

I think Windows will auto create a restore point but one of your own is belt & braces, but you can uninstall IE 11 from Installed Updates just as you can with IE 9 and uninstalling IE 11 that way will revert you to whichever IE you upgraded from without any problems, but you will have your restore point as a fall back.

If you decide that IE 11 isn't for you, reset it to defaults before uninstalling it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well folks, I took a deep breath and took the plunge. I find these upgrades (especially when things are working well to begin with) somewhat stressful.
    However, it went VERY SMOOTHLY. It first installed the required updates and then installed IE11. It took exactly 9 minutes to do this. Then I had to reboot. That actually took about 7 minutes before I got to my usual desktop. Hopefully that is a one-time thing.
    The new version appears to be much peppier. In particular, I go to the Yahoo Home Page quite often and read articles from there. IE 9.0 had been getting very slow for those tasks. IE11 seems to work quickly. So far, so good, at the moment (upgraded 15 minutes ago).

Oh, it did make MSN my home page. I changed it back to my usual home page.

Mel
    Last edited by compiler; 2014-07-21 at 17:02.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good for you ! - nothing ventured.... - well, sometimes

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have been plagued with upgrade notices for IE 10 and my McAfee software tells me it can't apply some updates. I am still running IE8 and IE9. My main objection to the later versions is the awful download dialog box. They replaced the "real" dialog box with that awful yellow contraption at the bottom of the window which overlays the status bar and prevents me from responding to outstanding requests and therefore locks up my computer. I have searched and searched for a way to use a "classic" version but apparently there isn't any. To make matters worse, the school where I teach is adopting some teaching aids that depend on HTML5 which requires IE10 or else go to Chrome. Isn't one browser enough? Needless to say, I'm upset.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonnella View Post
    I too have been plagued with upgrade notices for IE 10 and my McAfee software tells me it can't apply some updates. I am still running IE8 and IE9. My main objection to the later versions is the awful download dialog box. They replaced the "real" dialog box with that awful yellow contraption at the bottom of the window which overlays the status bar and prevents me from responding to outstanding requests and therefore locks up my computer. I have searched and searched for a way to use a "classic" version but apparently there isn't any. To make matters worse, the school where I teach is adopting some teaching aids that depend on HTML5 which requires IE10 or else go to Chrome. Isn't one browser enough? Needless to say, I'm upset.
    Press F12 with IE 10 open and a window will pop up from the bottom of the screen.

Click on Browser Mode: IE10 and you can select IE in Compatibility mode to see if that gives any improvement, but the download bar is a fixture - press F12 again to close the window.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I updated to IE10. I am still wary of IE11. I go into the Help, About box and deselect the box: "Install new versions automatically." Having the download box at the bottom (of the window) is a good thing; it keeps the box from blocking the main window. Click on Tools, View downloads, Options, and deselect the box: "Notify me when my downloads are complete." Then the download box will close by itself.

Thanks

Good Luck w/Upgrade to EI11

I am in charge of maintaining a Toshiba Satellite with Win7 x64.
    When the reports started recommending to upgrade to IE11 (x64) if for nothing but security, I jumped on the bandwagon December 2013.
    It has been nothing but a nightmare, an embarrassment, humbling and humiliating experience for/to me.
    It is quite a sad day when MVPs sponsored by Microsoft start recommending that users switch over to either Chrome or Firefox, because there are more than just a few users that have not been successful at upgrading to IE11 (either from IE9 or IE10). What is more ironic is the fact that there is no resolution in sight, except to hope that maybe Microsoft's own IE12 will be "installable" in Microsoft's own Operating systems smoothly.
    I don't want to scare you but you may wish to gloss over this "Internet Explorer 11 Windows 7 for 64 won't install; keeps failing" if your attempts start consuming more than 4 hours of your precious time. If this becomes the case for you, I strongly advise you to cut your losses and start using either Chrome or Firefox, instead. Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the warning. As I stated, I am wary (afraid) of IE11 and am still using IE10. I don't like Chrome or Firefox, so I plan to stay on 10 for a while... maybe forever. BTW, I have Windows 7 32-bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAugustas View Post
    Thanks for the warning. As I stated, I am wary (afraid) of IE11 and am still using IE10. I don't like Chrome or Firefox, so I plan to stay on 10 for a while... maybe forever. BTW, I have Windows 7 32-bit.
    @ GSAugustas,
    It is highly recommended that you DO install IE11 and take some time to learn it and customize the pre-configuration, so that you feel comfortable with it as you do w/IE10.
    1. 7 reasons to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 << this link provides some valid justifications why you should.
    2. Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 << this link provides details of improvements and performance benchmarks of IE11 [IMHO: pretty impressive] when compared with IE9/10 and Firefox/Chrome/Opera

If upon installing IE11 and acclimating to it, you decide that it is NOT for you; IE11 allows for uninstalling and going back to IE10 (w/some reboots and minor patch uninstalls).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Up grade to IE11 if you must ---- Here is information on an "escape hatch" to get back to IE9 if IE11 is not to liking or just does not for for some of your applications (see next paragraph).

I was using IE9 with no problems on my WIN7 PRO -64 bit desktop system. I was automatically "Up graded to IE11" ( I thought I had turned OFF auto upgrades, some how IE11 was installed with out my permission. But that is another story)

One BAD thing about IE11 is it has problems with allowing (some) VPN connections and many financial institutions (banks, credit unions, J P Morgan, Schwab etc) log-on. As soon as I was upgraded to IE11 I could not log on to about 5 different applications. A check with the companies all said IE11 would not work with their applications, IE10 worked for some, but ALL said go back to IE9.

READ ON FOR A RELATIVELY EASY TO REVERT TO IE9

You may or may not know that Microsoft changed the install of IE from an "application" to an "update". You can not "uninstall" any version of IE, because it was never "installed". Microsoft did a good thing, by making it an update, MS furnishes a neat way to roll back your current version of IE to the previous version. For example if you have IE11 that was upgraded from IE10, you can go back to IE10. Note if you went from IE9 to IE10 to IE11 you can apply the roll back 2 times -- go from IE11 to IE10, then from IE10 to IE9. Here is a good link that explains the process http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html. In my case, I got upgraded from IE9 to IE11 (with out my knowledge). The roll back worked as advertised -- although the process took about 45 minutes to complete. You have to have patience , the "install circle" spins round and round with no hint as to what is going on or progress bar!!

There is one "unadvertised" twist to the roll back that took about 2 hours to figure out -- the turn in the roll back road. Since I was running WIN 7 Pro 64 bit, the roll back installed the 64 bit version of IE9 by default ( everybody knows that!). Guess what -- the applications I mentioned will NOT work with IE9 64bit version. I tried several times to log on with my new IE9 with no success. Finally, I went to the "about" tab of IE9 and there it was-- 64 bit version. The roll back does a good thing. It downloads and "installs" both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE9. Go to the desktop and under IE9, you can select which version to run. I selected the 32 bit version, which opened first time with all of my previous bookmarks, clicked and logged on to all the previous applications with no problems.

ENJOY!!

So, you might want to but the above tricks into your customer service bag.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I am puzzled by your answers, because in the first one, you say IE11 has numerous problems, it was a nightmare, and MVP's advise against it, but then you say one should upgrade to IE11 (for various reasons). So which side of the fence are you on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast