Thanks

Outlook 2010 IMAP taking 30+ (and more) minutes to sync

Is it my profile that is corrupt, or is it some setting in Outlook? I checked with my ISP (1and1) and all looks fine from their end.

But I have to run it in safe mode to get rid of the flashing mouse / cursor, and the massive time still goes on.

Do I need to re-install, repair or create a new profile?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is this the same as your "Can't stop syncing" thread?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, yes and no.

They are related, but they are separate issues. In the "Can't stop syncing" thread, I was trying to get my cursor to not be in a state of "working in the background." Here, I was addressing the fact that the IMAP account would sync, and then turn right around and do it again -- showing time needed as high as 2 hours.

I may have solved that, and then have another question:

I found that I was closing in on the max for storage with a standard IMAP account -- 2 gigs with 1and1. So, they suggested I switch to a Microsoft Exchange account, which I did. I "transferred over" last night. Seems to be working better.

But I to find out what all the files are that are now in my Outlook data folder: obi and ost files for starters.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar (perhaps identical) problem. I have two accounts with Outlook. It has worked fine, but I couldn't get it to sync to my email program (I know about the Outlook connector, but I'm not fond of Outlook.com, so I didn't go that route). I have K@ Mail Pro and like it a lot.
    I also have a gmail account linked to Comcast, so recently I linked both my MS Outlook and my K@ Mail to gmail with an IMAP account, and they sync beautifully.
    Except for one thing. When someone sends me an email it may take seven or eight minutes longer through my Outlook with IMAP to gmail to Comcast setup than through my Outlook with POP straight to Comcast. That doesn't mean much when I'm picking up a batch of emails at the end of the day, but it's maddening when someone is on the phone saying he/she will send me an attachment RIGHT NOW and I don't get it for a long, long, time.

Does anyone have any guidance on that? I know that lots and lots of emails can slow down the process, so I went back and deleted and archived thousands and thousands of old emails, but it hasn't had any measurable effect. Is it possibly simply because going direct to Comcast instead of indirectly through gmail slows down the transmission? Even if so, it seems odd that it would thate THAT long.

Anyone have any tips or ideas?

Stan Duncan

P.S. I'm going to post roughly this same note in a couple of related forums to get all the eyes on it that's possible, so don't be surpirsed if you see it.