New Lounger
    Thanks

New cable co. wireless modem works w/only 1 laptop at a time

hi everyone! sorry if this topics been posted before. I did a search but couldn't find one exactly like this problem:

Last week had a new town broadband company install tv & wireless modem. previously we had Verizon. we have 2 pcs both running win 7: one is a Dell laptop the other a HP desktop with wireless network adapter. the problem is when the laptop is on the internet using a wireless connection then the other pc cannot connect and vice versa. the network window says "limited access". however, each machine connects perfectly when the other is not in use. we were able to connect both laptop & desktop to the wireless internet simultaneously when using Verizon.

Any ideas before I call the helpline & get stuck on hold limbo?

Thanks sara

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge Sara.

It sounds as if the modem has a DHCP issue which can sometimes be resolved with a firmware update or re-flashing the existing f/w, but as it's just been installed, I think you should use the helpline and see how good their customer service is.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you allowed to access the modem configuration, check the DHCP configuration. Otherwise, as Sudo15 says call the ISP and cross your fingers.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Assuming the broadband router has an rj45 connection put another (backend) router behind it and connect so it using the 1 connection. Connect your systems to the backend router.