iNET Interactive
    Thanks

How to reset lost passwords for Windows

ON SECURITY

How to reset lost passwords for Windows

By Patrick Marshall
    Depending on the version of Windows, there are several ways to gain access to Windows when you've lost your password.
    Vista and Windows 7 offer a little-known password-reset option; Windows 8 relies primarily on your Microsoft account credentials.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/on-security/how-to-reset-lost-passwords-for-windows (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Let's not forget that local PC accounts are not the only ones we need to be able to access when someone dies. Email is another commonly overlooked account which heirs and family members will want to be able to access. Yahoo (and I think also GMail) will not let you access a deceased person's accounts unless you have their user name and login password. This is an important consideration in estate planning. Social Media accounts may also operate the same way. Relatives of soldiers killed in Afghanistan have been sorely disappointed when they could not access the final communications and photos which were locked away inside email or social media accoounts.
    -- Bob Primak --

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Contrary to what the author says, Windows 8.1.1 does offer the option of creating a password reset USB drive, probably because I have never had a MS account.

My question is whether this will work with the laptop as well, both using the same password, or should I create a new one?

Thanks
    Why not try it on the laptop and see?

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Contrary to what the author says, Windows 8.1.1 does offer the option of creating a password reset USB drive, probably because I have never had a MS account.
    That's not contrary. That's what he said;

The simplest and most certain way to recover a lost password is to create a password-reset disc or USB drive. Built into Vista, Win7, and Win8, this option works only with local accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    My question is whether this will work with the laptop as well, both using the same password, or should I create a new one?
    No, each PC needs its own:

Troubleshooting

•The password reset disk cannot be used to reset the password on another computer.

The password reset disk that you create can only be used with the computer it was created on. For example, if you have two Windows XP-based computers that have the same user names and passwords, a password reset disk that you create on the first computer cannot be used to reset the password on the second computer.

How to create and use a password reset disk (an XP article, but the same must still apply)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-07-22 at 12:33.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Why not try it on the laptop and see?

Jerry
    Even I realised that, but having a busy schedule this week, and thus unable to spare time for the laptop until today, it seemed better to spend a few minutes asking the question rather than relying on my memory, which no longer reliable.

Bruce has answered the query, so now I only have to remember to get a USB stick of an appropriate size.