New Lounger
    Thanks

word 2010 mailmerge if-then problem

Hi,

I have not been able to get past this problem:
    I have various paragraphs that will go into mailmerge reports when students meet/fail to meet various threshholds. I have the data in an xls file. So I add a mailmerge rule to compare the score, and put the paragraphs into the if-then-else boxes and it looks like it should work. But when previewing, the paragraphs are cut off -- sometimes only one word shows up. The paragraph text is not in the xls file, so it's not the 255-character issue. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    That suggests your output text in the IF field isn't enclosed by double-quotes. Done properly, an IF field's output can span multiple pages, including tables and images. To verify that the field is constructed along the lines of:
    {IF{MERGEFIELD Score}< 50 "You have failed." "You have passed!"}
    select the whole field, press Shift-F9 to expose the field code and make sure the double-quotes appear as above and that there are spaces in the code where indicated. You can have more, but not less, spaces than I've indicated above.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

msmith708 (2014-07-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you! Yes, the problem seems to have been with the quotes -- the faculty person has miscellaneous quotes in the feedback paragraphs. I replaced them with single quotes and it seems to be working now. I had thought it must have to do with line breaks, field limits, or weird formatting, but it must have been the quotes!