New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Lexar Jump Drive Recognition

Okay this is the problem.
    I am using Windows 7 64bit
    I have two Lexar 16GB USB Jump Drives. Also marked as TwistTurn.
    A format was interrupted on one of these drives and now upon inserting it in my main computer the LED just stays constantly lit and the drive is not recognized. This drive is recognized without problems in four other computers (three laptops and one desktop - 2 x Windows 7 Home 32 bit 1 x Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and 1 x Win 7 Ultimate 32bit). Yes I downloaded and used the Lexar USB format tool on it to no avail. The other drive is recognized without any problems. The desktop computer where the failed format occurred will not recognize the drive the had the failed format - even though I reformatted it in another computer. Have tried rebooting, complete power off and rebooting, checking it for errors, using different ports etc. The only thing I can think of is that Windows has rejected this drive completely in some obscure setting somewhere. I just can't find it. One other thing. If I boot with this drive inserted, the boot menu halts at recognizing the USB drives. Doesn't happen in the other computers. Weird?? Can't find a fix on the net. Have used Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. Cannot make this particular drive work in this PC. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    The only thing that comes to mind for me is hidden devices within device manager;
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-new-hardware/
    Locate and destroy it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, tried that and did not work. I found that leaving the drive plugged in it was eventually recognized - after I spent 15 - 20 minutes outside chopping wood. Going to format it again in this computer (where the fault occurred originally) and see if that makes a difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks satrow I will definitely download those utilities and try them. Will let you know results.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Thanks a lot. The Nirsoft USBDeview fixed the problem. I had a lot of things listed more than once. For example my Logitech Pro 4000 camera was listed six times each with two entries - audio and camera.

Thanks
    Good news! Happy to help.

Nir Sofer's utilities are amongst the first 'installs' on my machines, alongside the Sysinternals Suite, you never know when you might need one of them.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Nir Sofer's utilities are amongst the first 'installs' on my machines, alongside the Sysinternals Suite
    Satrow,

You can use WSCC (Windows System ControlCenter) to download both sets & update them periodically.

http://www.kls-soft.com/wscc/index.php

Zig

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

satrow (2014-07-17)

Thanks
    Been doing that for a very long time on my machines, Zig needs a caveat to others about the almost inevitable battle with false positive flags if you recommend that 'remote download' route though, maybe better to allow people to spend a some time exploring and reading the FAQs, esp. #2.

Historically, 2-3 of the Sysinternals tools have also suffered from these false positives. I don't hesitate to install these on a PC I'm working on though, even if I don't use them at the time, they'll come in very handy if, for instance, the PC comes back with some active malware causing connection problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. Will check it out. I used these utilities once before but since I found this which gives much more information and control and it actually uses part of the SysInternals Suite. Check it out here
    http://systemexplorer.net/
    If you try this program don't forget to click the + at the end of the menu bar to add the tabs for info you want to see.
    Let me know what you think.
    SystemExplorer Screenshot - 001.jpg
    Last edited by Mannypl; 2014-07-17 at 21:41. Reason: add more information

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This program also pops up a transparent window when you hover your mouse cursor over tray icon telling you what is sucking up your system resources.

Attachment 39129

The only thing wrong is it shows incorrect CPU frequency. (Mine is actually 3825MHz - overclocked E8400)
    Last edited by Mannypl; 2014-07-17 at 21:49.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Satrow,

needs a caveat to others about the almost inevitable battle with false positive flags
    You're right, of course. I exclude the "users" entries for the Sysinternals & Nir files (especially the latter) generated by WSCC routinely.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2014-07-18 at 12:55.