I have a dual band router and it is set to broadcast on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. I have no issues with the router and my family's various computers, laptops, iPads, iPhones and Android phones can all connect to it and surf the net.

I recently bought an Asus T100 tablet with Windows 8.1 (update) and I have been having some really strange problems with Internet connectivity.

I set the tablet to connect at 2.4 ghz because it gives the strongest signal and I can connect to my router from all parts of my house. I have no problems getting on the Internet using Firefox and Internet Explorer. I also have no problems receiving/sending mail using the native Windows mail app and I can get onto OneDrive easily.

However, Skype does not work. Neither does the Windows Store. Sometimes, I am asked to re-verify my account by Windows and that also does not work. I just get a message from all three apps saying there is no Internet connection which is not true because I do have Internet with MSIE and Firefox. If I change my connection on the tablet from 2.4 ghz to the 5 ghz network then everything works just fine. Skype, Windows Store, account verification all work smoothly. I have encountered problems with these three apps so far -- I may encounter more as I use more apps on my tablet. I cannot use the 5 ghz constantly because the signal drops the farther away I am from the router. I get no signal at all from my bedroom therefore I have to use the 2.4 ghz network.

Has anybody encountered this issue and know how to resolve it. It could be a setting in my router but as far as I can tell the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz networks are almost identical. The only difference is that 2.4 ghz is set to Channel 1 while 5 ghz is set to auto. The 2.4 ghz signal was originally also set to auto but then it chose to broadcast on channel 12 most of the time which for some reason my Asus tablet could not see. Changing to channel 1 solved the problem. Or it could be an Asus or Windows problem.