New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up Three-Touchscreen System - Understanding How it Works

The following request stems from a desire to create a three-touchscreen setup with a new Intel Haswell box. I've tried to get answers from both Dell and from the box vendor (system house) with little luck in getting credible answers - they've been contradictory. What I've determined by experiment with an S2340T that I already own is that it works well with a USB3.0 connection to a computer (Surface-3 Pro), and doesn't have touch capability when using DisplayPort alone. What I've unsuccessfully asked Dell and the box vendor is whether three monitors connected solely by USB 3.0 will work effectively in an "extended" screen mode at a low frame rate - I’m not gaming. Hence my questions.

My usage would be with multiple programs simultaneously for productivity, not for video or gaming (i.e. not high frame-rate)

To be explicit, here are my proposed parts
    CPU - Intel Corei7-4790
    Motherboard - ASUS, Z97-PRO, LGA1150, Intel® Z97, DDR3-3200 (O.C) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /2, SATA 6Gb/s RAID 5 /6, SATAe /1, M.2 /1, DP + HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /4+4, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
    Monitor - Dell S2340T
    Windows 8.1

• Can someone explain or refer me to an explanation of how the video and touch signals are processed? I'd like to understand where the processing of these signals actually happens.
    • Would this setup work in Windows "extended" mode so I have touch on all three screens?
    • Would this setup markedly drag down overall performance of the system?
    • Would I benefit from putting in video card(s)? If so how, and what kind would I want?
    • Should the single Dell Display driver for S2340T cope with three separate monitors?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing I can offer is the need to have a USB connection to the computer for each monitor which will necessitate having a 4-port USB Hub [connect the 3 monitors to the Hub then the Hub to Computer]. The basic reason for the USB is VGA and DVI are output only but touchscreen requires communicating back to the computer.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-07-17 at 09:43.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I realize I need a separate USB port for each monitor. I'm attempting to figure out whether there is a significant advantage in my low frame-rate situation to have a separate video card. Ideally I'd like to have it work with three USB lines and no separate video cards, then add a video card(s) if I find my performance degraded. I'm just not clear what is the interaction between VGA/DVI/DP and the USB connection since I get full video and touch with USB-only for a single monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm just not clear what is the interaction between VGA/DVI/DP and the USB connection since I get full video and touch with USB-only for a single monitor.
    Your mention of USB-only does suggest the VGA/DVI connections are not needed and can remove them from the question. The only issue I can see is whether running different programs on the 3 monitors would work, should.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:
    I just hooked up the same monitor to a Dell NUC with Haswall CPU (lovely device). In this configuration the monitor does NOT run with only USB cable. I had to add a DisplayPort cable as well. There must be something special/different about the Surface.