Thread: Windows 9

Unregistered

Windows 9

Will the forthcoming Windows 9 be able to be downloaded and installed over a current PC (laptop) running Windows 8.1, or will we have to buy a new computer pre-loaded?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2014-07-17 at 11:00. Reason: moved from Contact Us

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts
    No one really knows what Windows 9 will be, but it would be a novelty in the Windows history, if upgrades from the previous version were not supported.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes...exactly....but I always prefer to do a clean install of a new OS. Less headaches.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since Windows 8 would actually let you download, start the upgrade, and even keep using Windows 'til the reboot, I wouldn't be surprised if upgrades didn't continue to work as they always have.

Here's some general info on Windows 9:

http://www.businessinsider.com/windo...eatures-2014-7

And Microsoft's development leads typically create a specific blog for each version of Windows, but I haven't been able to find one for Windows 9 yet. This is their main page:

https://blogs.windows.com/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i would expect the vendors would make you buy new hardware instead of spending the money and effort to make win 9 work on their old hardware and then giving it to you as an update

would enough people even want to buy it to make it worthwhile for them?
    i dont see it happening
    and even if it did could you get all the right drivers and app versions etc
    i would not attempt it even if they offered it

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Will the forthcoming Windows 9 be able to be downloaded and installed over a current PC (laptop) running Windows 8.1, or will we have to buy a new computer pre-loaded?