Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Windows 9

  1. #1
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Windows 9

    Will the forthcoming Windows 9 be able to be downloaded and installed over a current PC (laptop) running Windows 8.1, or will we have to buy a new computer pre-loaded?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2014-07-17 at 12:00. Reason: moved from Contact Us

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,397
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    No one really knows what Windows 9 will be, but it would be a novelty in the Windows history, if upgrades from the previous version were not supported.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger bassfisher6522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
    Yes...exactly....but I always prefer to do a clean install of a new OS. Less headaches.

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Since Windows 8 would actually let you download, start the upgrade, and even keep using Windows 'til the reboot, I wouldn't be surprised if upgrades didn't continue to work as they always have.

    Here's some general info on Windows 9:

    http://www.businessinsider.com/windo...eatures-2014-7

    And Microsoft's development leads typically create a specific blog for each version of Windows, but I haven't been able to find one for Windows 9 yet. This is their main page:

    https://blogs.windows.com/

  5. #5
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i would expect the vendors would make you buy new hardware instead of spending the money and effort to make win 9 work on their old hardware and then giving it to you as an update

    would enough people even want to buy it to make it worthwhile for them?
    i dont see it happening
    and even if it did could you get all the right drivers and app versions etc
    i would not attempt it even if they offered it




    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Will the forthcoming Windows 9 be able to be downloaded and installed over a current PC (laptop) running Windows 8.1, or will we have to buy a new computer pre-loaded?

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger Calimanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Rumour has it that W9 may be free to W8 users. I'll believe it when I see it though.

  7. #7
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,213
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 295 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Rumour has it that W9 may be free to W8 users. I'll believe it when I see it though.
    It could be compensation to all of the Win 8 users because of the aggro they've gone through - but there again, pigs could start flying

  8. #8
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    If Windows 9 has Metro, I ain't gonna touch it with a 10-foot pole.
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  9. #9
    2 Star Lounger Calimanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

  10. #10
    5 Star Lounger access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    616
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    If Windows 9 has Metro, I ain't gonna touch it with a 10-foot pole.
    If Windows 9 puts us back on that awful start menu, it's a 20 foot pole for me.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,397
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    If Windows 9 puts us back on that awful start menu, it's a 20 foot pole for me.
    Yes, it's not possible to go back to whatever the situation was, is it, since Windows 8 did change things, for good or bad. In order not to alienate anyone, Windows 9 should probably make all the relevant options available, but in a configurable way. I am quite happy with the metro side of things and the start screen, so I wouldn't like to see it go away. I am also doing fine without the Start button, so yes, if the goal is to bring it back, it's best to allow all those that prefer not to use it to have that possibility, as well.

    I installed the button for a couple friends, and it feels really weird to use the Start button in Windows 8, when they need any help. It's way easier to just hit the Windows key and type to get the program you want.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  12. #12
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,146
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 248 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    If Windows 9 puts us back on that awful start menu, it's a 20 foot pole for me.
    I think the start screen will still be there, except maybe not in the Enterprise version; but what will you do if the start menu can be configured to become the Start screen? I'll be sticking strictly to little tight quick menus but that might be a nice adaptation option.

    I hope the removal of the vestigial Charms bar means full Snap capabilities or even pinnable toolbars are coming back as well.

  13. #13
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    One thing everyone should understand, was that it was never about the lack of the start button. For me, the main issue is that MS is no longer a consumer-oriented company. Instead, their main idea is to shove what THEY feel is right, into the throats of us consumers. Okay, I know some of you are going to argue that MS was NEVER a consumer-oriented company; yeah well, I've heard all the arguments from both sides of the fences. But the fact is that, Micro$oft DOES need consumers. And, the main thing we consumers are berating about, is the lack of choices.

    Take a look at XP for example. Sure, MS has come a far way from XP, but not necessarily a good way. At the time XP was introduced, it had a brand new Start menu. Though it looked almost similar to the Win 98 or ME Start menu, but with a few obvious changes, it offered us a choice of picking either the new XP-style menu or the oldie-goldie Win 98-style menu. And, I'm sure that NONE complained about the XP menu. Why? Because we had a choice of changing it. Is it that hard for Win 8 to offer a choice? What, did someone over there forget the code for the Start menu?

    It's kind of shameful that we have to pay money to gain back a simple capability, a capability that every single version of Windows upwards of Windows 95 has ever had, but apparently, isn't included in Micro$oft's shiny new OS.

    And why? Because MS considers us regular Joes obsolete. And that hurts.
    Last edited by KritzX; 2014-08-08 at 14:39.
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,397
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    One thing everyone should understand, was that it was never about the lack of the start button. For me, the main issue is that MS is no longer a consumer-oriented company. Instead, their main idea is to shove what THEY feel is right, into the throats of us consumers. Okay, I know some of you are going to argue that MS was NEVER a consumer-oriented company; yeah well, I've heard all the arguments from both sides of the fences. But the fact is that, Micro$oft DOES need consumers. And, the main thing we consumers are berating about, is the lack of choices.

    Take a look at XP for example. Sure, MS has come a far way from XP, but not necessarily a good way. At the time XP was introduced, it had a brand new Start menu. Though it looked almost similar to the Win 98 or ME Start menu, but with a few obvious changes, it offered us a choice of picking either the new XP-style menu or the oldie-goldie Win 98-style menu. And, I'm sure that NONE complained about the XP menu. Why? Because we had a choice of changing it. Is it that hard for Win 8 to offer a choice? What, did someone over there forget the code for the Start menu?

    It's kind of shameful that we have to pay money to gain back a simple capability, a capability that every single version of Windows upwards of Windows 95 has ever had, but apparently, isn't included in Micro$oft's shiny new OS.

    And why? Because MS considers us regular Joes obsolete. And that hurts.
    I actually disagree with your point of view. I don't think the issue is not MS considering regular users obsolete, as much as it was a mistake thinking users would adhere to the touch centric interface they designed and force that touch centric interface on users, without other options, with the goal to entice developers to build apps to the new operating system.

    Couple that with an arrogant, not willing to listen to feedback, leadership in charge of Windows development and that lead to the current state of affairs.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  15. #15
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    That's true Rui. And whatever arguments we may make, I think we can agree on one thing: Not everyone can afford a touch-screen desktop. And not ALL work can be accomplished on a touch-screen. Some users, like those in the audio and video industry, need desktops and mice for their livelihood. A finger just doesn't give that level of precision or control as a mouse pointer. For a company that's been designing OSes for around 3 decades now, it's sad MS is blind to this.

    If Windows can figure out which part of the screen I touch, if Windows knows where to place its buttons and hot-corners, and if Windows knows that the place I tapped or clicked on was one of it's hot corners or buttons, then WHY can't Windows figure out when I'm using a friggin' mouse and just show me a friggin' Start menu, so I can finish my friggin' work and get on with my friggin' life?

    People always said Windows was touch-unfriendly. Never thought it'd become mouse-unfriendly.

    }
    end RANT.
    Last edited by KritzX; 2014-08-08 at 15:14. Reason: 3 decades not 30 :P
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •