Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do you use a formula in Conditional Formatting?

This is the question;
    Make a copy of the Home Sales Data worksheet, and then rename the worksheet as Q10. Remove the current conditional formatting and then add conditional formatting to highlight records in the Sales Price column where the sales price was above the asking price. Use appropriate formatting. (Hint: Create a new rule by selecting the Use formula to determine which cells to format rule type, and then editing the rule description to enter a formula with a conditional statement that compares the first data row between the two columns of interest.)

1) The use of formulas in conditional formatting is not taught in the book but I figured out how to highlight the cells with a higher sales price.
    2) I have no idea what this means or how to do it even if I understood what they are asking for; ďand then editing the rule description to enter a formula with a conditional statement that compares the first data row between the two columns of interest.Ē)

Iíve done the question two ways and attached the files. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Conditional Rules Manager will show my formulas.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Kevin,

You've solved the problem and the second solution answers the question (the first highlights more than the question asked).

So, I'm not sure what question you are asking of us?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-07-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG!
    Many times I over think things and then try to do it the way that I would on my own. I tend to forget that this is just an exercise, not real life. I have all the answers to the questions but the student answers have so many errors that the instructor no longer gives them out. The result is that I don’t have much confidence in the solutions given and if I can’t prove my formulas with a calculator, I feel like I’m screwed. When they ask a question not covered in the book and my first attempt doesn’t work, I go to tizzy mode trying to figure it out. Questions are not encouraged in the class, so my “tizzy mode” can get intense.

If I were to compare values located in different columns that are separated by several other columns, I would highlight the data in both columns. It just makes it easier for me to read.

I got lost reading, “that compares the first data row between the two columns of interest.”) I kept trying to figure out what it was in the “rows” that they wanted me to compare and what it was that I was comparing to.

Are you trying to find common denominators for the sale price being higher than the asking price? If so, why format the table with stats and money mixed together instead of having money columns and stat columns grouped together?

I was looking for a way to highlight the data in both columns like my first solution but I also wanted a light background to fill the columns in-between my two columns.

Thanks Again
    Kevin

You're right. The answer is my second file.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Kevin,

If I were in a class where questions were not encouraged I'd report this to the administration. What the heck do you need an instructor for if not to answer questions! You're paying for the instructor so make sure they do the job they are being paid to do.

Of course we're always glad to help here in the Lounge.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs