Thanks

Reimage worth using?

Anyone know if "Reimage" is worth using? (It is claimed to "repair" windows OS images without the need to re-install/use Windows repair; both of which are time-consuming processes. In general, I have always steered clear of so-called "quick fixes" for my system, but this program sounds intriguing.

Some info is provided here: http://www.reimageplus.com/lp/nhome/...keyword=direct

NOTE: another Lounger got an "Alert" from "WOT" about the above site , so perhaps going there is not a good idea!!!
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-07-26 at 05:47. Reason: Added the NOTE
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Anyone know if "Reimage" is worth using?
    Pete,
    Hello... Can't speak about the software ..but i get an "Alert" from "WOT" about the site .. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    @Just Plain Fred: Thanks for that (I will edit my original post to warn new readers!!). I had received the link in "junk mail" with a crude explanation about the virtues of reimage. I had not yet clicked on the link and gone to the web page....
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    I have done a bit more homework (perhaps I should have done this before posting?(!!). PC Mag says this about the product:

Pros:
    Unique repair service reinstalls Windows "in place" by restoring or replacing missing or damaged Windows files. Only software of its kind.

Cons:
    Only repairs files that are part of the Windows OS, not Microsoft Office or other third-party files. Can turn up disturbing (but ultimately harmless) glitches.

Bottom Line:
    Reimage is the only repair-in-place Windows repair service, but at $69.95 per year, you should try other solutions first.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Also, if you stop paying, you will lose all changes done by the app. I don't really like the concept.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Peter,

You can get Macrium Reflect Standard or Pro for less than a single year subscription and it protects all your programs and files {of course you have to maintain a good imaging regimine} and it's good forever. Or if you don't need any of the advanced features you can go with the free version for home use. Check out the many posts on Macrium right here in the lounge. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Ditto for EaseUS ToDo Backup Free (or Home).

Zig

Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought this program about a year ago to try to fix some problems on my Win 7 Laptop. It totally screwed up my computer and I had to reinstall everything
    I did manage to get a refund.... I wouldn't touch it with a very long bargepole !!!

Thanks
    @RetiredGeek. Many thanks. I have (and regularly use) Acronis TI 2013 (with Plus Pack). I was, however intrigued by the junk mail ad I received, proclaiming the virtues of this product. Clearly, judging by the comments of fellow Loungers to my original post, it's not a "good thing"(!) I agree that regular system and data backups are an easier, "better" and more reliable option.

Thanks
    Peter,

@RetiredGeek. I was, however intrigued by the junk mail ad I received, proclaiming the virtues of this product.
    This wasn't your first clue?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Also, if you stop paying, you will lose all changes done by the app. I don't really like the concept.
    Where did you get that from?

In all the posts I've read about reimage that's the first I've seen about it holding one's computer to ransom. I call ****.

I remember when reimage was first announced. After early teething problems it seemed that for many it did just what it said it would do: replace hosed Windows files with fresh clean ones. That was its main stated purpose. Registry cleaning and quarantine of files corrupted by malware was included. The idea was to be able to take a hosed system and restore it to working order so that one might proceed with normal cleaning processes.

I just spent an hour going through a half-dozen forums' posts going back to '08. It looked to me that a fair number of reports yea or nay were done for malware removal which is not the intended purpose but an ancillary effect. There were almost a dozen sites set up for the express purpose of either recommending or dissing of the program. Looks a mess to me. One of the more fair takeaways was that reimage has prompted much discussion, much of it not all that useful.

Were I a mid-road user without ready access to a good fair-priced tech and not comfortable with repairing or reinstalling my own OS (or if the install media was damaged or lost) I'd be quite tempted to try reimage, and with fair expectation that it would either work or that the company would do what they could to make things right, up to and including a full refund.

For a quick giggle, I just ran it on my vm install of XP SP3 and it generated an accurate report. There was one issue with msi installer (related, I think, to an one-time unsuccessful attempt to update Flash via Secunia Personal Inspector) that was rated "low severity." That's it, and only the very gullible or very nervous would see it as an issue.

People who know of and how to use Macrium Reflect and such already have little need or use for reimage. Reimage is directed more for Mom-and-Pop self-help or for techs who want to reduce hassle and time needed to deal with certain of their customers' macines to get them in clean working order, best I can figure.

NOTE on WOT: Best I can figure from very careful looking into it, it's a scam; it's self-reinforcing.... points are won for rating websites based on existing ratings (prejudice) and related activity. It has little to do with trust. For some, the 'family-safe' rating may possibly be of some use, but if you need a service such as this to do that for you, you've got other problems.

I was a member for three months and was disappointed in myself that it took me so long to figure these folks out.

PLEASE be most careful in dealings with the whole W.O.T. system and some of its people.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-02 at 18:34. Reason: edited to remove improper language

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    @kermidge,

I read it on the reimage site, when I took a look, probably a couple years ago, so you can distrust all you want, but please do so in a way that makes you comply with the Lounge rules on the language used.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks

Reimage Plus suspected of corrupting Windows 8 and later

Anyone know if "Reimage" is worth using? (It is claimed to "repair" windows OS images without the need to re-install/use Windows repair; both of which are time-consuming processes. In general, I have always steered clear of so-called "quick fixes" for my system, but this program sounds intriguing.

Some info is provided here: http://www.reimageplus.com/lp/nhome/...keyword=direct

NOTE: another Lounger got an "Alert" from "WOT" about the above site , so perhaps going there is not a good idea!!!

My early experience with Reimage Plus was very positive. But then, later versions of Reimage Plus tried to sneak toolbars into my browsers. Even so, if you are alert, you can check or uncheck a box during installation and again during updates to opt out.

Then, after I upgraded to Windows 8.0 and 8.1, Reimage seemed to still fix a lot, but also seemed to corrupt Windows 8.0 and 8.1 so that Windows Updates could no longer be installed.

A very positive thing about the Reimage Plus company is that they will give you very good Remote Connection support, at no additional charge. And they will support you time-generously until they get your computer working the way it should to your satisfaction. Even so, anything that is not working properly takes time (1) to discover something is wrong, and (2) to get it fixed.

And so, I think you are better off to save your money and research how to do what Reimage Plus purports to do: A Windows system refresh (the one that preserves your personal files). Sorry to send you off to research it, but I don't know the procedure well enough to explain it, though I have done it after using Reimage. And I got my computer working better than how Reimage left it.

I think the Reimage Plus people are super good, but Microsoft made some changes (or inadvertently added some bugs) to Windows Update that the Reimage Plus people have yet to master.

If you still want to try Reimage Plus, you will be okay because of the Reimage Plus support and because Reimage Plus gives you an easy way to back out all changes that Reimage Plus did.

I think eventually the Reimage Plus people will master Windows 8 and beyond. Just that as of today, I think I see Reimage still corrupting Windows Updates.