New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Reimage - PC Repair

You have an advertisement for Reimage on your paid Newsletter. Does this mean that I can trust it? I've always been skeptical of these types of software, especially if free. Thank you.
    Caroline

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    No, it doesn't mean you can trust it. An advert is paid by the advertiser and it does not represent any endorsement by Windows Secrets about the product in question.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Caroart (2014-07-17)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It only gets 3.5 stars in Cnet user ratings. I'd look further afield, or ask here for advice - in a new thread.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    To "Backup" or not to backup, is not even the question. The only real question is 'what program do I use' ?

A $49.95 program would surely do the job. Right? Well, maybe, but there are also FREE programs available that that would also do the job, and maybe even better.

I might be called old, out of date, stuck in a rut, etc. etc. etc. and that's OK, because I have a program originally written in New Zealand somewhere around 1997, that just Worked.

It was called simply......"GHOST". it was written to run from a DOS boot disk (floppy disk). It was sold to Symantec in ~1998 and was updated as a DOS program through several generations till 2005 (approx.) when the last DOS version was released (Ghost 11.5).

I have that version, which I'm still using today, booted up from either a Flash Drive or CD. (It finally got too large to fit on a single floppy disk.)

Amazingly, it works just great for all versions of Microsoft OS's from DOS to Windows 8.1. A good friend who runs a server in Linux, says he uses it to back up his server. When running in Disk to Disk mode, it basically sees only ones and zeros and it backs up what it sees. It can back up a Data Disk, devoid of an OS.

I've also used it to backup a hard drive, to preserve the data, when the OS had become corrupted and would not even boot up the PC.

For that very reason, I encourage everyone to use a Backup scheme that does NOT involve the backup/restore program being only on the hard drive. When that HD crashes, the Backup/restore program is GONE too.

To be effective, the backup and restore program must be on some kind of bootable media. like a CD or flash drive.

I hope that helps someone to decide on their own Backup scheme.

Cheers Mates!
    Last edited by DrWho; 2014-07-19 at 10:43.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks

Dr Who

Does your version of ghost work on SATA drives? I don't recall DOS having SATA drivers. Did you add a third party driver??

Last edited by wavy; 2014-07-26 at 09:01. Reason: typo
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.