3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to get SP2 and IE 9 for a 32-bit Vista HP

My friend set his Dell Inspiron Vista HP 32-bit desktop last week to factory default using Vistaís built in Factory Restore system because the computer wouldnít boot into Windows after a thunderstorm/lightning timeframe the computer shut itself down. After the reinstall he installed SP2. Then he was getting notices to update to IE9 Ė he has IE7 but couldnít update to IE9.

This morning I checked the computer and here is what I found out
    In Windows Updates history, there are 2 SP2 updates each being reported as Cancelled. However the System page does report he has SP2.
    --- So now Iím wondering whether or not itís a good idea to uninstall both SP2ís recorded in Windows Updates history and then install SP2 properly
    --- If so, how do I uninstall the cancelled SP2ís and where do I find the official Microsoft SP2 to install for him?Then thereís IE9. The reason he couldnít install IE9 is because itís the 64-bit but he has 32-bit. How do I find IE9 32-bit version?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The best place to check is View installed updates from Programs and Features, rather than Windows Update History: View Installed Updates In Vista

(The canceled entries in history could be because it was already installed. There may not be any need to uninstall or reinstall SP2.)

Download Windows Vista Service Pack 2 32-bit

Download Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista 32-bit

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-07-17 at 22:44.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-07-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. I'll put your recommendations to good use

New Lounger
    Thanks

Install Firefox instead of IE on 32bit Vista.

Redid a computer for my friend and had same problem. After beating my head on the keyboard. ( must have jogged my brain) I just installed Firefox and set it to default.It works. Plus I think Firefox is a lot better and faster. I put the service packs in it. But still wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    My friend set his Dell Inspiron Vista HP 32-bit desktop last week to factory default using Vistaís built in Factory Restore system because the computer wouldnít boot into Windows after a thunderstorm/lightning timeframe the computer shut itself down. After the reinstall he installed SP2. Then he was getting notices to update to IE9 Ė he has IE7 but couldnít update to IE9.

This morning I checked the computer and here is what I found out
    In Windows Updates history, there are 2 SP2 updates each being reported as Cancelled. However the System page does report he has SP2.
    --- So now Iím wondering whether or not itís a good idea to uninstall both SP2ís recorded in Windows Updates history and then install SP2 properly
    --- If so, how do I uninstall the cancelled SP2ís and where do I find the official Microsoft SP2 to install for him?Then thereís IE9. The reason he couldnít install IE9 is because itís the 64-bit but he has 32-bit. How do I find IE9 32-bit version?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Using those links provided by Bruce worked out fine
    --- My friends computer has been and still runs like new as it should be