2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

wmp and wmpnetwk seize my computer

Sometimes, everything just stops. The little blue circle goes 'round and 'round, nothing will work, nothing will close. If I have Process explorer open, I can see that System idle is at or near zero and wmp somethingorother coupled with wmpnetwk are eating all the clock cycles. I don't do media center except to watch Jon Stewart on rare occasion.

Forgive me if this is a dead horse I am beating once again, I tried searching but found nothing of use.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Try turning off media sharing in windows Media Player as described here:
    http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102...-my-resources/

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-07-17 at 21:56.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The link goes to a discussion having 2007 dates so the OS is probably XP. I am running Win 7 pro on an Asus P55 mobo with an obscene amount of ram.

The first two lines did not apply to my W7 media player or media center as far as I can see.

I can't be the only one having this problem.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Open your media player, right click somewhere on the top menu bar, select tools, then options.
    in the "network" menu, remove all the check marks. Then head over to the "privacy menu and repeat.

Then head over to services and disable it there as well. It's called WMPNetworkSvc.

The above is for Windows 8.1, but it should be similar, if not the same for Windows 7.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-07-17 at 20:44.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Close, but no cigar, CLiNT! I was able to find everything but "services" in my Media Player and my failure to find it led to the fight this morning between wmpshare and wmpnetwk that was, fortunately, over very quickly.

If I disable all of these things in WMP, will I be unable to record shows from my TV card? Or does having the TV card work mean that I have to put up with a Microsoft Macrobug?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub