Lounger
    Thanks

Fred Langa's Emergency repair disks for Windows: Part 2

Hi: I had to do some reinstalling and needed to make a new windows 8.1 recovery disk. Followed Fred's instructions, I copied my most recent RECIMG file to C:\WIN8-Recovery and renamed it INSTALL.wim. I then opened a administrator level command prompt and typed the following: REAGENTC /SetOSImage /Path C:\Win8-Recovery\INSTALL.WIM /Index 1. When I press enter I get the following message: "REAGENTC.EXE: The specified path was not found." I should note that I am a belt, suspenders and rope around my waist guy--I have Acronis backups, Snapshot and a Windows Image as well as RECIMG. I would like this process to work. I must be doing some simple thing wrong but damned if I can figure it out. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

(I researched this on the MS site also and found that someone had asked the identical question but it was not answered.)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried asking Fred ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    According to the Reagentc help the path should be to the folder level only and not include the image name.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding.

Sudo 15: I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how to contact Fred directly.

JoeP517: I'm not a pro and am not sure just what "reagentC" is. All I know is that Fred's instructions and those on the Windows site are identical. It's my understanding that the purpose of this is to make a recovery disk and, when used, have it point to the folder that contains the RECIMG image so one can do a non-destructive reinstall.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elgercee View Post
    All I know is that Fred's instructions and those on the Windows site are identical.
    I don't think they are (unless you can provide a link at microsoft.com which agrees with Fred's suggested parameters?):

Reagentc /setosimage /path R:\RecoveryImage /index 1

REAgentC Command-Line Options

Try it without the \INSTALL.WIM?

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As Fred is the chief editor of Windows Secrets you can use the Contact link in the menu bar and copy a link to your thread into the message box.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce R: Please see the following:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-62dcd9531c44
    This is a response from a Microsoft rep in a forum on the Microsoft site. The instructions as written are: "REAGENTC /SetOSImage /Path C:\Win8-Recovery\INSTALL.WIM /Index 1" This is identical to what Fred wrote in his lead item in the newsletter of 4/17/14.

I truly appreciate your help and am trying not to nitpick, but I know what I read. I do try to do my homework before I post. I will try your suggestion that I delete "install.wim" from the equation and see what happens. Thank you for responding.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: I set the command line as follows: reagentc /setosimage /path c:\Win8-Recovery /index 1. It worked. Bruce R's suggestion to delete "install.win" from the command line did the trick. To all who responded I say thank you and sorry for taking up your time with this mundane problem.