Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

reformat Linux Ext HD from EXT4 to NTFS

I have been using Linux for some time, but it has never fit my need. Finally, a technician from the Ministry of Education (Costa Rica) came and switched me to Win 7 Enterprise so that I could proofread their documents & send them back after corrections. But all my backups are in EXT4-a Linux format. But I have one 1TB Toshiba external drive that has nothing on it that I would like to use for backups. The 'Enterprise' I have was poorly installed and is a pirated edition. I need to back up my data so that I can switch to my purchased Win 7 Home Premium.
    How do I reformat this drive for current use? I am not a technician, and have a slight brain injury, so I don't put things together very easily. If there is a way I can do this, please be non-technical as possible. Thank you, Julia Henson.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-07-18 at 10:27.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If you want to format a hard disk as NTFS in Linux, I suggest the best approach is to Google for "Linux format disk NTFS" (without the double quotes) and choose the most intelligible hit!
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use GPARTED, a bootable CD created from a downloaded .iso file, to do things to HDDs such as what you want to do. Delete the partition on the EXT4 drive using GPARTED then use either it or Windows Computer Management, Disk Management to create new NTFS as desired. GPARTED does boot into a version of Linux.
    http://gparted.org/download.php

Thanks
    Perhaps I am miss reading your intent, but just to be sure::
    You do realize that reformatting the drive will erase all your backup on that disk??
    If you need to access the EXT4 formatted disk to copy stuff off the easiest way would be to use a Live Linux cd/dvd that can natively read EXT4. There are windows drivers that can read EXT3 but I have found it (1-2 years ago w/XP) problematic for EXT4.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is Julia. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I no longer have Linux - I have Win7 Enterprise. The external drive is empty and I WANT to use it as a backup for my current Windows data. I have access to all my old Linux data through "DataIntensive" or something like that - anyway, I have it. But this drive I am wanting to make into NTFS was previously formatted by my Linux person who refuses to assist me because Linux does not work for what I do. Does that help?
    Thank you, Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use two methods of cleaning an HDD, one is if Windows Computer Management, Disk Management can 'see' the drive I delete any partitions on it and the other is, with the drive connected, boot to a GPARTED CD and use it to delete the partition/s. The key is to be sure of the drive letters so the wrong thing doesn't get deleted. GPARTED uses a specialized version of Linux LiveCD.
    http://gparted.org/

Thanks
    The key is to be sure of the drive letters so the wrong thing doesn't get deleted.
    For this reason I always name my drive something to indicate what they actually are, i.e. W7Cdrive, XPCdrive,backup...

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Julia Henson (2014-07-25)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    @Julia,

As to the Windows 7 book, I fear I cannot recommend one, as I never bought one, other than Windows Internals, which is not really meant for the purpose you want. However, you will indeed need to migrate to a 64 bit Windows version, to be able to use more than 4Gb (actually to even use 4GB), as 32 bit Windows versions are limited in the amount of memory they can use and there is no way to overcome that, other than going 64 bit.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

GPARTED/DiskInternals;detailed instruc book; 64 bit vs 32; naming ext HD; which 64?

3 things: 1) About using GPARTED in case windows cannot even see my drive. GPARTED is Linux - right? Will DiskInternals do that job? 2) Using a 64 bit would require buying a new scanner? (my old one is an HP L1911A, which doesn't work as well with the Win7Enter I have (maybe that is a 64 bit and that is why it doesn't work as well now? 3) I have frequently asked how to name my HDs so that I can identify them easily but my technician has never answered that question. Maybe I can get that info from my old XP book "InsideOut"?
    Oops - #4) If the lounge doesn't have Win7 books similar to this, maybe Amazon does - If so, is there a combination of books that will give someone who needs 'everything' explained, a chance to understand how to help myself?
    Another Oops - #5) If I need a 64 bit, which WS newsletters tells me which of the (seemingly endless) versions will do everything the easiest? What is my search terminology?

Should I separate all these questions?

Double "Thank you" for your patience! I'm trying to keep up.

Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will see if I can do this. Thank you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My previous tech told me about DiskInternals and that worked fine for my EXT4 files with Win7Enterprise.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1) About using GPARTED in case windows cannot even see my drive. GPARTED is Linux - right? Will DiskInternals do that job?
    Yes, GPARTED uses a version of Linux. If DiskInternals is included on the bootable LiveCD/LiveDVD it should work.

2) Using a 64 bit would require buying a new scanner? (my old one is an HP L1911A, which doesn't work as well with the Win7Enter I have (maybe that is a 64 bit and that is why it doesn't work as well now?
    Yes, you need 64-bit drivers for yours or get a new one.

3) I have frequently asked how to name my HDs so that I can identify them easily but my technician has never answered that question. Maybe I can get that info from my old XP book "InsideOut"?
    In Windows Explorer [renamed to File Explorer in Win8/8.1] I right-click a drive and click Properties, type a name in the dialog box on the General tab. Most I use a shortened brand name and the size as in WDC_2TB and maybe followed by a number if having two or more the same.

Oops - #4) If the lounge doesn't have Win7 books similar to this, maybe Amazon does - If so, is there a combination of books that will give someone who needs 'everything' explained, a chance to understand how to help myself?
    The Books for Dummies series can be helpful, probably at any bookstore and online.

Another Oops - #5) If I need a 64 bit, which WS newsletters tells me which of the (seemingly endless) versions will do everything the easiest? What is my search terminology?
    There's no really easy way to know which to get but mostly I base it on older programs and/or devices that are required and may not work properly on 64-bit hardware. Or there may be no 64-bit version available.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-07-25 at 10:34.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Wavy, fortunately, this is the only blank drive that had no backups on it.
    Thank you,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Yes, GPARTED uses a version of Linux. If DiskInternals is included on the bootable LiveCD/LiveDVD it should work.
    I d/l the 'DiskInternals' and it comes up and reads all my backup drives, so I think I'm good.

Yes, you need 64-bit drivers for yours or get a new one.
    After reading all day about these questions, I have decided that my pirate version of Win7 Enterprise has to be a 64 bit and I can still use my scanner. It will probably improve after I update the driver. Thank God!

In Windows Explorer [renamed to File Explorer in Win8/8.1] I right-click a drive and click Properties, type a name in the dialog box on the General tab. Most I use a shortened brand name and the size as in WDC_2TB and maybe followed by a number if having two or more the same.
    You'd have thought I would have recognized that - instead I was afraid to change it!

The Books for Dummies series can be helpful, probably at any bookstore and online.
    Yes, I found what appears to be a good one on Amazon. I looked at the TOC and also the Index and I think it really will work for me. Thanks very much!

There's no really easy way to know which to get but mostly I base it on older programs and/or devices that are required and may not work properly on 64-bit hardware. Or there may be no 64-bit version available.
    I did finally come across a note from some site that is using MS Ofc 2003 with the 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. I'm going to cross my fingers. I can at least try.

And so, it was a productive day and Amazon is going to allow me to return the 32bit and give me full credit, even though I have already opened the pkg! This has been a good day. I thank you very much for your time.
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did finally come across a note from some site that is using MS Ofc 2003 with the 64 bit Win7 Home Premium.
    The only issue I have come across between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office is the 64-bit Office 2010 wouldn't let me keep the 32-bit version of Office FrontPage 2003. Office 2010 is the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast